Cheesy Documentaries

How many of you have seen the documentary American Movie? It chronicles one auteur’s ambition to make his great film. He tries to bankroll it by turning out a cheapy horror flick called Coven (which he pronounces for some unfathomable reason as “Coo-ven”). It’s an amazing doc on the struggle of becoming another Ed Wood.

Any other such documentaries you’d recommend?

1 Like

American Movie is pretty amazing. Definitely recommended.

2 Likes

While not technically a documentary, It Came from Hollywood is a very MST3K clip film. Saw this in the theatre when it first came, seemed funny to me at the time.

2 Likes

Suppose a mention of Best Worst Movie has to come up at some point.

Considering the crowd here, I’d sorta expect we’ve all seen it.

4 Likes

Idiocracy is my favorite cheesy doc

1 Like

I was never a fan of the teen-pop band Bros. Actively despised them, in fact. But this documentary is something else. Remember how unintentionally hilarious the group therapy sessions were in that Metallica documentary? Well, Matt and Luke Goss’ attempts at insight and deep philosophy go beyond. They are so estranged from self-awareness, it’s almost endearing.
Whether you like the band, hate them, or have never heard of them, this is a well-made, remarkable and unintentionally hilarious look at what happens to teen pin-ups when they get older.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s cheesy, but Sherman’s March is certainly an odd documentary. A man sets out to make a documentary about General William Tecumseh Sherman’s march to the sea during the American Civil war. But instead he spends most of his time distracted by women and worrying about nuclear war.

2 Likes

The title and cover art makes that documentary look like it’s about the Kray Brothers. Never heard of the band, but it’s always amusing to see the unaware and undeservedly popular go through their disintegration.

Didn’t he do it like “coe-ven”?

The documentary is easier to find than the movie it was about. I think I saw the movie for sale online once but it was way over priced. I suspect the number of people who saw the documentary is more than how many saw the movie.

2 Likes

Might’ve done both wrong pronunciations. I best recall his insistence that the correct pronunciation was wrong because it rhymed with “oven”, to which the guy playing the coven leader essentially responded, “Yes, exactly.”

1 Like

Well it can’t rhyme with oven, obviously. Witches have historical scars from ovens. Also, fire, flying houses, and water, but those don’t rhyme.

2 Likes

I enjoyed the Unusual Occupations series. They used to show it on AMC back when AMC was a good channel.

3 Likes