Cheesy Movie Thunderdome: Which Movie Leaves? (Vote, and Sponsor Your Own Combatants!)

Some disorder I have compels me to choose a favorite of two or more comparable movies. I want to spread this sick compulsion to you, my new friends!

(To satisfy everyone’s neuroticism, where movies have been riffed, a poll for the movies themselves, and a distinct poll for the riffs)

THE MOVIES

• santa
  • lr-santamartians-jpg

0 voters

THE RIFFS (Mystery Science Theater 3000)

• Santa Claus (1959)
  • Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964)

0 voters

THE RIFFS (Rifftrax)

• Santa Claus (1959)
  • Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964)

0 voters

Post your own polls, vote in as many or as few as you like, and MiSTies, I’m counting on you not to let the title of this thread go to waste.

3 Likes

Can’t we get beyond Cheesy Movie Thunderdome?

12 Likes

the circle is complete, amen

4 Likes

But what if one likes the Cinematic Titanic riff of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians best?

2 Likes

Round 2: The Crawling Body Part!

0 voters

1 Like

i didn’t want to pit company-vs-company, and since Cinematic Titanic only riffed Martians, it’s the winner by default!

edit unless i’m wrong and they riffed Santa Claus, too, in which case i will resign in shame

2 Likes

Nae, you are correct, and it’s a valid point. Cheers!

2 Likes

this poll has me really conflicted. i think i need to schedule a rewatch to better inform my vote. civic duty and stuff.

i forgot to expound on my first vote (which i encourage everyone to do! well not my vote! i mean you can! but i’d rather hear about your vote!). i slightly prefer Santa Claus because of its surreal nightmarish quality, and the riff for this

cando

5 Likes

Those are two of my all-time favorites. No way can I decide between the riffed versions. Both are very weird movies, but I think I loved the random bizarreness of “Santa Claus” a touch more than “Martians.”

4 Likes

Santa Claus is definitely the more interesting film of the two - it’s in the magical realist tradition, as opposed to Conquers The Martians which is informed mostly from the stylings of American paranoia films. If we’re comparing on the merits of the film alone, Santa Claus wins hands down.

I have a soft spot for Conquers The Martians because I used to watch the film itself on local TV as a kid, and later it was one of my earliest experiences with MST3K. The fusion of those two factors made it a classic for me.

2 Likes

Santa Claus, weirder, and funnier.

Though yes, CTs Martian is the best of the Martians riffs… though MST has the Swayze song in its favor.

It’s interesting how these have become go to eps for the various riff projects. Another one? The Mads did Santa Claus.

3 Likes

i didn’t know that! i just love them both for bringing such original weirdness into the Christmas shared universe.

3 Likes

Round Three: Estevezageddon

• Soultaker
    Soultaker
  • Werewolf
    Werewolf

0 voters

2 Likes

GoodBYE, Joe!

6 Likes

In hindsight, I could also have pit Soultaker against Future War, for a Z’Dar-off!

ZDarSoultakerZDarFutureWar

5 Likes

you still can! the people demand it!

are we voting on the movies or the riffs or specifically Joe’s performances?

3 Likes

I would say vote on your overall love for the riffed film. But Joe’s performance can be a significant part of that!

1 Like

Next up, a two-parter, with the winners going to a final battle.

Round Four: Stupid Agent Man I

• BryanCooper
    Secret Agent Super Dragon
  • BartFargo
    Danger!! Death Ray

0 voters

EDIT: Updated one of the photos, which reset the voting. Please vote again if your vote was lost.

1 Like

Round Four: Stupid Agent Man II

0 voters

1 Like

bop ba dop ba da da

1 Like