Churches, Synagogues, Mosques, and Sanctuaries (Places and Architecture)

Those sanctuaries removed from daily life. Ornate, timeless, direct. Stained glass, high ceilings, you feel small. A speck in the scheme of things. Wood, natural light, they certainly have a vibe. Even if we provide it. Simplicity, modesty, splendor. Spend much time or not so much?

That feeling.

I really just get a kick out of these signs which I always interpret as warning passersby to be on the lookout for the dangers of church:

6 Likes

I don’t know if discussion of faith (or lack thereof) is appropriate to this forum, but since you brought the subject . . .

I grew up in a Catholic family. We went to Mass almost every Sunday until, in my teens, I was told I no longer had to go. I suppose my parents thought I would voluntarily go. Nope. I haven’t been back since,

3 Likes

There is a 3/4 empty mall in Portland that is excellent for skating in. A bunch of the retail spaces now have weird, sketchy “vendors” instead of stores.

One of them seemed to be an art installation. Spray-painted Mac SEs, mannequins with TVs for heads, motherboards on the wall, that sort of thing. I had no no idea what they were going for, but there was an address, xhurch.net on the window.

Apparently, they “Explore new practices and defenitions of ‘the sacred.’”, which mostly involves creating sci-fi versions of the nativity.

They also linked to https://xhurches.org/ , which is a delightful directory of churches being used for things other than church. Music venues, climbing walls, supercomputers. I guess you can put just about anything in there. Apparently Archive.org headquarters are in a former Christian Science church? I had no idea. Thanks, weirdos in an empty mall I visited by chance!

1 Like

Politics in a sustained way is deemed inappropriate. Faith? It isn’t listed in the Community Guidelines. Like with others in this series on places we go to or visit, it is about the place and your feelings or history with it. Any deeper is up to you. I find churches interesting places by themselves which is why I spotlighted them.

Politics and religion are often tightly connected. Be careful with this topic.

3 Likes

Understood. This is a thread on the buildings and the structures themselves. Which ones stand out. Which ones you’ve been inside. This IS NOT a religion topic. This pertains to the places only. Fair enough? I will do my best to keep this clear of what is of concern. Thanks.

1 Like

Note: The actual places themselves are the topic. NOT any deep philosophical conversation. This IS NOT the place for any spiritual dialogue or discussion.

1 Like

As a Jewish person who is also an atheist, I would humbly like to request you change the title to something like ‘Places of Worship’ or ‘Sanctuaries’ or ‘Sacred Places’ or something.

Many people of many faiths do not go to churches.

2 Likes

I was thinking of highlighting of each of them in their own thread. Would you prefer me just make this the All-Purpose Thread?

1 Like

I would say that would work better. One thread per religion seems excessive.

1 Like

It is my thought before posting this to profile them separately since the styles of architecture are different. However if you feel that is best, I’ll revamp the title. Thanks for your input.

1 Like

How’s this? Churches, Synagogues, Mosques, and Sanctuaries (Places and Architecture)

1 Like

Works for me, but I can’t speak for anyone else.

1 Like

These were snapped during my trip to Moorhead, Minnesota yesterday, the neighboring city of Fargo, North Dakota.

This is St. John the Divine’s Episcopal Church. It is a beautiful building; did I also mention it’s a landmark?

1 Like

We’ll see how it goes. I tried to adjust without it feeling off to me. Having the soul of a writer, the words have to feel true to me. The title works well. Thanks so much.

1 Like

Very distinct. I like the angles and color on the door.

1 Like

1555299907.maxwest1980_img_1442

This is Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal Roman Catholic Church in Ridgewood, New York. I used to attend mass here years ago.

1 Like

To get back on track, there is an outdoor interdenominational sanctuary in New Harmony, Indiana, former location of a religious utopian community, which is very attractive.

Closer to home, the synagogue here in Terre Haute is a beautiful and historic building. Unfortunately for them, there is not enough of a congregation to keep the HVAC on for the main sanctuary, so they meet in the basement.

The historic St. Benedict Catholic Church downtown is also very pretty outside, but I’ve never been inside.

We have some other pretty churches around here, but I think those are the two most historic places of worship in town.

3 Likes