Citation Needed

About a year ago, Thornwillow Press ran a contest with is publication of H.G. Wells’ The Magic Shop, the answer to which was part of a quote attributed to Wells: “What really matters is what you do with what you have.”

But although there are countless instances of websites attributing that quote to Wells, none of them state when or where he said or wrote it. And it’s the sort of innocuous pseudo-philosophical phrase that anybody could have said, so is it a legitimate quote? :man_shrugging: CITATION NEEDED.

1 Like

When The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. came out on DVD, a reviewer on Amazon cited ‘the late John Astin’ in his review.

I pointed out that John Astin was not dead. Every couple of years I would point out, ‘John Astin. Still not dead.’

Eventually, years later, the guy corrected his review to note that John Astin is not dead.

4 Likes

I’ve found at least two sources that attribute it to one Shirley Lord, also without any source.

2 Likes

And now, ironically…

3 Likes

?

Do you know something I don’t know?

1 Like

Oh, wow, I would’ve sworn I heard he died just this week! But I find no evidence of it… This may be some kind of close-range Mandela effect.

Quick, tell me: Did the Brooklyn Dodgers win the last World Series?

3 Likes

One thing I like about this headline is it makes it sound like the dead guy is just being recalcitrant.

“STILL?! What’s this guy trying to prove?”

3 Likes

I could have sworn I remembered reading his obit too. Weird. I love John Astin so I’m glad he’s still with us.

2 Likes

Generalissimo Franco?

3 Likes

STILL DEAD!

(but we’re okay with that)

4 Likes

Anyone remember when the Silent Hill wiki got hijacked by a moderator and turned into a platform for the dude’s own conspiracy theories regarding the series?

2 Likes

Actually, that’s not quite correct. Orbison died before recording any new material. Tom Petty was looking to recruit Del Shannon to take the fifth seat. Various Wilburys and Heartbreakers participated in Shannon’s last album ( Citation
included!! Rock On! (Del Shannon album) - Wikipedia ), but he committed suicide before anything was committed to tape.

Hence, “Volume 3” as the title of the second album.

I’m sorry, I was already corrected on this and am not taking further submissions.

FWIW, I think Wiki says it was Harrison’s idea to call it Volume 3 as a joking reference to a bootleg that was circulating.

Sorry, I guess I didn’t read the whole thread closely enough. But I do recall hearing an interview with Petty in which he said they were honoring the “phantom” album that would have been made with Del.

1 Like

I petition this thread be renamed Traveling Wilburys Central.

2 Likes

Attempts have been made to centralize Wilburys in the past but they always ended up moving around, resisting any stationary impulses, and resulting in Rambling Wilburys, Roaming Wilburys and the more esoteric Heisenberg Wilburys whose precise location and direction is never quite known.

2 Likes

I’m down! I’ve got long-term plans to build my own Wilburys Funko Pops. I never got any further than Bob Ross as Jeff Lynne, so I’m open to all suggestions for mods.

2 Likes

A friend had been involved with a well-known event in the career of a popular band, which had commonly been reported in a way that he knew and could back up with evidence as not happening the way the band claimed. He was interviewed for the book, but when it was published, the event was covered exactly as how the band always described it.

When he asked the author why she didn’t use his story even after being interviewed, being backed up by others interviewed, and giving her material to show how the story could never have happened the way the band claimed, her response was, “But their version is so much cooler than what really happened.”

1 Like

That’s poor journalism!

2 Likes

When the legend becomes fact, print the legend!

2 Likes