Claim to fame

I was, along with my third-grade class, on a local St. Louis Saturday morning show called Gator Tales. It was a show with puppets and a storyteller who’d tell a different story every episode. That was a fun field trip!

2 Likes

Well it’s not ME, but I am related distantly to a couple of semi-famous people.

There’s a museum in North Carolina that uses the house of one of my ancestors, one Francis McCloud, as a location to display artifacts of that era. I can’t remember the name of the museum, but I really wanna go there someday and demand my family’s property back as a joke. :rofl:

The other person (he’s my first or second cousin about five or six times removed) is Quanah Parker, who was named by the US government at the time as the last Chief of the Comanche. His mother, Cynthia Ann Parker, was kidnapped as a child and raised by the Comanche, and she married a member of the tribe and had several children with him, although I believe Quanah is the only one who survived. I started digging around in my ancestry a while back for kicks and have semi kept it up. I’m hoping to find out more about my dad’s side soon; most of what I’ve found is on my mother’s side of the family currently.

3 Likes

Screenshot 2021-12-12 082454

3 Likes

My sister and I have the same birthday 3 years apart. We didn’t get in the paper though.

2 Likes

My sister and I are 7 years apart. I always believed there was another person out there whose birthday is also ruined by sharing it with a sibling.

2 Likes

I was an extra in the first Spider Man movie.

3 Likes

Did you get to meet Nicholas Hammond?

3 Likes

My brother and I are two years apart and just three days apart… maybe the three of our parents had a special date night (shudders!)

1 Like

Aw, I always liked sharing it.

3 Likes

It’s official. That post is “O.K.”:

okpost2

4 Likes

I had a hit YouTube series before you could make money from YouTube, but it did get me the occasional paying gig.

7 Likes

When I was a kid, my friend and I came across a couple of dogs in a storm drain, and we scavenged some snacks for them and called the authorities (cause we could not get them out). We ended up being in the paper as “two boys” because we left before the newspaper got there.

So…sorta?

3 Likes

– Back when Double Dare was a thing, one of the local channels tried to do a similar style show. I attended a screening and was considered to be a contestant, but just sat in the crowd. I technically was on camera at some point, but when it actually aired I wasn’t bothered to watch for myself.

– Around 2000 or so, Nintendo Canada had a newer VW Beatle that was given ears and a tail to look like an electric mouse we likely all know. Long story short, about 6pm after I finished work someone who was driving it made a right hand turn without noticing I was about to cross the street (I did have the walk signal) and was almost killed by Pikachu. (Bonus: the corner where I was almost hit was Thurlow and Georgia in downtown Vancouver, at the time the corner I was crossing from was a parking lot, but became the Shanghi-La Hotel. which doubled at Encom Tower in Tron Legacy)

3 Likes

Did they aim Raichu, or was it a Snorlaxident?

4 Likes

somewhat both. The driver wasn’t paying attention and turned right into where I was about to step. Had I stepped a moment earlier than I did, this story would have a whole different ending.

3 Likes

Leonard Nimoy was the stay-at-home Richard Terry.

My fame was in creating and running perhaps the internet’s foremost philosophy discussion forum, before I sold it to a crook who destroyed it.

2 Likes

4chan?

(I keed! I keed!)

2 Likes

Did it stop thinking?

2 Likes

PhilosophyForums dot com… snagging the most obvious domain name was probably how it became popular.

3 Likes

Sort of “on the nose”, though. I would’ve gone with “OneHandClapping.com” or “AngelsOnPinHeads.org”.

This is why I haven’t run a big forum of course…Oh, I guess I was in charge of the Comedy Central forum for a few years.

2 Likes