Classic Comedy Central

Many of us got into MST3K in the Comedy Central days. Do you have memories of Comedy Central back then? I thought it was great. They had no budget, so they resorted to shows they could produce on the cheap (MST3K), re-runs and stand-up clips.

Guess who had another show on Comedy Central before The Daily Show?

My personal favorite show was Night After Night With Alan Havey, a relaxed and yet completely anarchic talk show featuring (literally) an audience of one and a guest of whoever they could possibly find that night.

Hey! Who’s that on Alan Havey’s show?

Do you have some good memories of Comedy Central in the day? If so, answer like Penn Jillette.

8 Likes

5 Likes

Oh, sorry … you said Penn.

4 Likes

My cable company only picked up Comedy Central after MST3K was cancelled, but I remember enjoying Make Me Laugh and especially Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist.

5 Likes

I loved Dr. Katz. It was a great show. And it gave us the start of H. Jon Benjamin’s voice over career which has gone to some interesting places since.

4 Likes

I wasn’t a huge fan of any of their original programming unless I’m forgetting something (Ron Howard VO: “He probably is.”), but MST3K and KITH were always 100% put down the remote in my apartment.

4 Likes

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

It was a joy.

Always loved it when Dom Irrera would show up.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I loved Comedy Central back then.

Besides MST3K, I watched edited movies as well as Benny Hill. I loved all those pretty ladies on Hill’s show!

1 Like

:notes: Dr. Katz (cha-cha-cha)
I think I’m falling hard for
Dr. Katz (cha-cha-cha)
And I know that it’s not riiiight :notes:

I don’t recall Hill being on CC! That’s kind of funny (odd).

2 Likes

Yep, Benny Hill episodes aired on Comedy Central. I used to watch them in the morning and on weekends in the 1990s.

3 Likes

I think they aired The Young Ones later at night. MTV was showing Monty Python around that time too.

4 Likes

All the love for Women Aloud and Absolutely Fabulous. The latter got them to run old French and Saunders episodes, too. I think there were at least a couple of Tracy Ullman Specials as well? :heart_eyes_cat:

6 Likes

“Women Aloud” was great.

I remember one opening which was basically Mo Gaffney doing a long psychiatrist gag, complete with lying down on a couch, where she talks about all her woes and finishes with something like:

I blame my mother, of course. But most of all, I blame my first guest tonight…

And then she introduced whoever was on. Great setup.

4 Likes

My brother liked the Canadian sketch comedy Kids in the Hall. We watched that once in my uncle’s apartment.

While it didn’t leave me in stitches, it did make me chuckle.

1 Like

Not long after my family’s cable got Comedy Central, I watched it around the clock. MST3K and KITH were faves, but I also liked Dr. Katz, all the random stand-up shows, SNL reruns, and reruns of The Critic. Early Comedy Central also had a ton of good British comedy. It was where I first came across Monty Python. I also liked The Young Ones, Absolutely Fabulous, and French and Saunders.

5 Likes

In the early days ,they also showed very obscure shows like Ernie Kovacs, Bob and Ray and Spike Jones. This must have pleased the grandparents for the target demo. Still, it had been DECADES since they were shown. Too bad it didn’t throw in Your Show of Shows. Pieces of that show was syndicated at one point.
SNL was also an ideal addition to that channel, and this was before the Second Great Era (Carvey, Lovitz and Hartman)

3 Likes

I liked Kids in the Hall but felt it could be a little uneven. I especially like most of the sketches with Kevin McDonald and Dave Foley.

2 Likes

I was about 30 years old then, so I think I was in the demo, and I LOVED the shows you mentioned.
Bob and Ray especially, but also Ernie Kovacs, should be hilarious to anyone no matter the generation.

4 Likes

I fondly recall the pre-CC days. The network had two prior incarnations:

The weirdo, kludgy “we’re new in the neighborhood” feel that The Comedy Channel had was endearing. Even then, it seemed like they were struggling to fill air time but they wound up inadvertently pouring the foundation for shows and comedians that are still going strong today.

I watched more Higgins Boys and Gruber than anyone really should. It was mainly for the jank of Supercar.

5 Likes