Classic MsT3k Re-Masters

Are they ever going to remaster all the Classic Episodes into at least 720p? It doesn’t have to be 16:9, in fact I would prefer they leave it in the 4:3 format.
I just wish they would improve the picture quality on a lot of the older episodes. TV’s have really changed over the years and on a 65inch OLED 4k TV the older episodes look really rough.

1 Like

It’s been discussed, I believe the biggest limitation is having access to the masters. Joel, Ivan and others have stated they don’t have the original copies to remaster for quite a few episodes.

I’m hoping these will be the best copies we can get, as I went pretty hardcore with digital copies for my Kickstarter pledge!

2 Likes

I think there are also licensing issues with the riffed movies, and the episodes themselves. IIRC Joel mentioned this in a backer update once.

2 Likes

Myself as well, they are my only source of entertainment when I travel to foreign countries. They look Okay on my iPad Pro but when I try to AirPlay them to the TV they really show there age.:frowning:

1 Like

There is room for improvement. The DVDs can be cleaned up. Some transfers are worse than others, so results vary. They will never be HD though. I have experimented with upconverting, but really have not seen a huge improvement from the added resolution. Good deinterlacing and filtering can make a big difference though. The host segments are the most challenging. I will try and post some screenshot comparisons later in the week if I can find some good examples.

3 Likes