Classic Sci-fi Movies

So here’s a great blog I ran into a few years back. It goes through almost every Sci-Fi movie from the 30s to the early 80s. Capsule reviews for each and a great resource for finding rare movies (some of which can be found on archive.org)

6 Likes

Thanks – that’s a great compilation of movies!

2 Likes

You’re welcome

I thought I would share because it’s been such a great resource for me

2 Likes

Yeah, super good resource. I’ve just spend the last 15 minutes digging around in it and I can’t find a single movie that I can think of that isn’t in there, and of course, dozens and dozens of movies of which I’ve never seen or even heard. Hours of fun ahead!

2 Likes

Nice. Not much in the pre-'50s era, and he regards Aelita, Queen of Mars as obscure, but he definitely hits his stride in the '50s. Both 1953’s The Twonky—maybe the first movie about a helpful robot running a man’s life—and 1957’s The Invisible Boy (which features Robby the Robot, literally, the robot from Forbidden Planet that has traveled back in time) are in there.

3 Likes

Didn’t Robby the Robot make appearances on various TV programs?

2 Likes

Yes, along with a lot of the other props (and even some VFX scenes) from Forbidden Planet.

2 Likes

Hardest working 'bot in show business. He’s even the murderer’s alibi in an episode of “Columbo”.

What’s weird about The Invisible Boy is not that Robby the Robot appears in it, but that it’s literally Robby the Robot, i.e., the same “character” that appears in Forbidden Planet, having traveled back in time to 1957 as part of the story.

I mean, the reality is MGM wanted to get their money’s worth out of RtR, but technically, The Invisible Boy is a prequel to Forbidden Planet, or at least part of the same cinematic universe.

4 Likes

A few months ago I popped in my Forbidden Planet Blu Ray and afterwards decided to check out the extras. What do you know, they include The Invisible Boy! Don’t you just love it when a whole other film is included as an extra?

4 Likes

I had no idea it was there! Thanks!!

1 Like

Yeah, especially when it’s not a film you’re likely to see (or buy) on its own!

Although I confess I bought Fire and Ice to get the Frazetta documentary “Painting With Fire” that was on it. “Painting With Fire” documentary alone? $40. Fire and Ice with Painting With Fire? $10.

4 Likes