Comic Books

And now a joke- What’s the difference between a 19th Century industrial sewing machine and Rob Liefeld?

One is infamous for mangling hands into unrecognizable shapes, and the other is a sewing machine.

3 Likes

Today would have been the 106th birthday of Jack “The King” Kirby. Here’s a picture of him looking like just the absolute coolest mamma-jamma.

jack-kirby-1

10 Likes

Never got into Kirby’s solo writing efforts. Appreciate him as a stylist/designer, though.

2 Likes

I’ve been gradually checking out some of his classic Marvel work from the '60s, and a few years back I read the whole New Gods omnibus edition from his time at DC. And what I’ve gathered is that Kirby was a world-builder at heart. He was best — and happiest — when he was creating new characters, concepts and designs.

5 Likes

Yeah his Fourth World stuff is among his strongest. Same with the first couple chapters of OMAC, though I feel like it hints at some darker, Paul Verhoven style stuff he never gets to, sadly.

3 Likes

When I think of Jack Kirby, I think his work is very reminiscent of Thomas Blake, thematically speaking.

2 Likes

Stumbled upon this at Prime, and took a break from my Trek, to watch it.

I remember when that first issue of Rocketeer came out, and I knew nothing about it, but that art enthralled me, so I added it to my buys that week. I liked the classic, 40s vibe of it. And the detail, the brush work was incredible. (I later bought that print, “Betty’s Bath”).

I had the same reaction when I saw Steve Rude’s Nexus, where you just sit and stare at it and marvel.

Other artists that really caught my eye - where the linework, the movement - that whole aesthetic grabbed me, was Jaime Hernandez on Love & Rockets, and Terry Moore on Rachel Rising.

David Lapham’s “Stray Bullets” is in there too.

4 Likes

You might like Frank Cho and Eric Powell.

Matt Wagner does that for me too.

3 Likes

I’m reading Creepy Archives, Vol. 2, and happened upon this fun bit of fan art:

3 Likes

My creator!

3 Likes

This is so awesome.

6 Likes

Damn. Go big or go home, eh, Bill? (or go big AND go home.)

This probably means the Black Forest miniseries will never be finished. It also probably means DC will keep this tied up in court for the rest of eternity.

I can hear Alan Moore reading this and giggling, all the way from Northampton.

3 Likes

Wow!

I’ve never read the Fables comics, but wow.

Good on him for doing what he wants with his toys. I’ll be curious to see how many follow.

4 Likes

Fables is terrific. I highly recommend it.

2 Likes

Just found this short comic from Questar magazine’s 1980 issue.

Mark Hempel, “Spaceman: Daydreaming Can Be Dangerous”

Pretty awesome, right?

6 Likes

Thanksgiving is done and I’m drunk on leftovers and that means it’s time to sprawl on the rug for the vintage '74-'76 Marvel Treasury Edition Giant Superhero Holiday Grab Bags.

4 Likes

Oh, superhero Christmas stories are always fun. Bonkers even by usual comic book standards. Like when the Legion Of Superheroes tried to find the Star Of Bethlehem, or when the Punisher agreed to go 24 hours without killing, maiming, or injuring anybody.

3 Likes

If they had any balls, that comic would have lasted about 3 panels.

1 Like

He made a bet with Microchip. If Frank failed, then Microchip would cut him off gear-wise. Of course this was nearly a full decade before Garth Ennis’ uberFrank, who could kill criminals with a stick of softened butter.

3 Likes

Well… it probably worked out better than the time Gwenpool fought The Punisher.

3 Likes