Comic Books

More Women artists. I talked a little about Revival in the standee and ticket art thread.

Story and art by Tim Seeley and the Gizmoplex’s own Mike Norton, but another big part of that comics success was the Jenny Frison covers.

Here’s a bunch of my faves

Loved Em, but she was very creepy

Her sister, the cop, trying to solve the mystery

Amish samurai? A little different, and very cool. Like the texture of it

The fish with the bite in it was a nice touch

And going back to one of the first major female comic artists

I have a collected edition of her Miss Fury strips.

Bought the series Dynamite released years back, so the character endures.

1 Like

Pia Guerra - Y: The Last Man

3 Likes

I think I first heard of Mills because of a paper doll tribute in the back pages of Katherine Collins’ Neil The Horse. I keep meaning to dig those old comics out and reread them. There’s a collection available, too. Should be a must read for anyone interested in B&W comics from after the heyday of Underground and head shops, but before the Ninja Turtles explo$ion glutted the market with copycat crap:

2 Likes

Dr. Aphra has been a lot of fun. It’s now in its 2nd series. Well, 3rd if you count the Darth Vader series that introduced her.

2 Likes

Perhaps my biggest “Wow…” comic was a limited series called “Wanted”. You might actually hate it if you’re into superheroes comics because it’s pretty much the opposite of that. I saw it as a biting satire on our societal apathy, and loved that message. It’s definitely dark, “mature audience only”, etc. (Later, Hollywood made a movie based on a few small details from the comic, but the film was more of a “feel-good movie about textiles manufacturing” than anything resembling the comic.)

A few more not kid-friendly titles: I’ve stuck with Saga (a woman-drawn/co-created series) despite some fan-displeasing turns and a long hiatus. And I’ve been trying to be a fan of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, though they keep stopping production. (The first time was to make the somewhat lighter Netflix series. And now, a second delay, who knows?)

FWIW: I do like lighter stuff, and webcomics, too. I wasn’t into comic books until a few years before Covid-19, and I still only buy maybe 1-3 per month.

2 Likes

For the past few years, my taste in comics have been a mixed bag. Jumping from a few current Marvel titles to Horror from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Typically, I am reading anything from Charlton Comics like Dr. Graves, Haunted, Ghostly Haunts, and all the others. I love Eerie and Creepy. The throwback series Shudder, Creeps, and Vampiress Carmilla. With Marvel, it has been the random Moon Knight and Silver Surfer releases.

I’ve been collecting off and on for 30 years. I’ve missed so much that trying to really get back into anything has been difficult. Now there are 112.76 Spider-Man variations. I just can’t follow it all. Horror has been my shtick for the most part.

3 Likes

I have been reading comics off and on for nearly as long as I have been able to read. I started off with Richie Rich and Archie comics, but read a wide variety of titles these days. As far as the discussion of female artists is concerned, Mirka Andolfo is one of my current faves. She has a unique style, and I first saw her work in her title Mercy:

She is currently the artist for Red Sonja, which has also been drawn in the past by Gail Simone, and Amanda Connor.

If you haven’t seen a Peach Momoko variant cover recently, then you aren’t paying attention to comic books. Her water colors are amazing, and she has done some work for Heavy Metal, as well as some of her own titles (which I have not read). Her Demon Days collaboration with Marvel, reimagines superheroes in Japanese folklore traditions:

Another up and coming female artist, who has been doing some great cover art over the last few years, Sun Khamunaki just wrapped up a Kickstarter for her first creator owned series, Ormus:

sun_k_ormus

2 Likes

Sana Takeda

I might have first taken notice of her when she paired with Marjorie Liu on X-23

The two later teamed-up on their Image series, Monstress, where her work became more ornate/baroque.

I’m really looking forward to their 3-part graphic novel, The Night Eaters, the first book will be released this October.

Sana Takeda – Official Homepage

5 Likes

Oh yeah, I really loved her work in Monstress.

2 Likes

I find this interesting, as I would say that I originally read comics for the stories, but that it was the lack of depth in the comics I was reading in the '70s that lead me to stop reading comics for over a decade*. I did not come back to comics until Image started doing their thing in the '90s, and then it was really the art that brought me back. I have dropped titles from my pull recently because of bad writing and because of bad art, so it is hard to say which one I am in it for now, good thing that there are a ton of comics out there these days with both great art, and fantastic stories.

*ETA: I was reading Heavy Metal in the '80s, so I guess that kind of counts as my return to reading comics.

1 Like

It’s both for me, I can’t enjoy a story if the art is dire, but they really go hand in hand, the artist needs to be a good storyteller too.

What was I reading in the 70s? Well, it was mostly Marvel - The Master of Kung Fu, especially when Paul Gulacy was drawing it.

Iron Man, always liked IM, and when David Michelini, Bob Layton and John Romita Jr. came on board in the late 70s, that was a knock-out.

Claremont’s X-Men, especially when John Byrne took over art chores.

The Amazing Spider-Man was still on a roll, and I remember the death of Gwen Stacy was crushing

In the early 80s Frank Miller joined Daredevil and turned that title around. and First Comics I mentioned, was another publisher I got in to. The New Teen Titans from Marv Wolfman and George Pérez brought me into DCs world, then Swamp Thing kept me there.

So I was still reading, I think I dropped out of Marvel in the 90s when they were doing all the jackets and hair, and had shifted to DC with the Alan Moore books, Sandman, The Spectre a few others.

1 Like

I had stopped reading X-Men before Claremont took over, and missed those years as first run. The last titles I was reading in the 70s would have likely been Ghost Rider and Silver Surfer. I did not have a local comic book store, and bought them from the spinner racks at the local market. I had to buy what they had, and the selection was not great. For the most part, I only bought comics weekly during the summer back then, when I had extra money from mowing lawns. Other than that, I relied on reading the comics my friends and cousins bought. None of us read DC at all, so I was ignorant of everything going on in that universe.

As someone mentioned upthread, in the 90s I was more into roleplaying game, so the comic rack was just a distraction on the way to the RPG books. I started reading Spawn and Hellboy then, but not much else until the early 00s, when I started reading superhero books again (both DC and Marvel).

1 Like

Ah the old spinners at the drugstore. We got our first comic book shop around 1975? And back then, a couple of bucks would buy you 6 to 8 comics a week. So I was always doing something to raise money, any odd job or chore. My friend and I would go downtown on Saturday, stop at the comic shop, then the record store, then grab a bite at MacDonalds or somewhere. That was the ritual.

2 Likes

Haven’t been into comics for a good while but very aware of Momoko and her style/work. Her art is distinct and standout, and it’s really great that she’s getting so much work these days. Awesome stuff.

sman

2 Likes

Podcast with Ed Brubaker

and Criterion has a piece on his art partner, Sean Philips

1 Like

I’m going to share Colleen Doran.

Many, many, many projects and all around terrific! :heart::heart:

2 Likes

So comics are just my pure bread and butter. I love almost all of them. My heart belongs to the Marvel universe, but I really will read any damn thing, especially if it’s funny and/or weird.

I just finally started reading Hellboy, and it’s been fun so far. Not a big fan of the art, but that’s just me.

As for women in comics, I have to bring up Gail Simone whose writing I love to death, especially when she veers into comedy. Her run on “Secret Six” still remains one of my fave runs of all time.

1 Like

…do I dare dump my big list of webcomics here? Because I want to say I have about twenty of them? (Though I’m not as active a reader as I used to be…)

3 Likes