Comic Books

Do it… I’ve liked a lot of webcomics over the years, though the only ones I read regularly now are Girl Genius and PvP (which seems to be on hiatus).

Just read The Darkhold Alpha/Omega and I really enjoy Cian Tormey’s artwork.

1 Like

I was just nostalgia tripping through these this weekend:

[sigh] Comics take up so much damn space. Even the really good ones like this. If anyone would like to own these for just the cost of shipping, DM me. There are also several paperback collections out there for the practical-minded fan. The cartoon shorts based on them were tied up in legal limbo for ages. But I think they might be available again now. I need to check. :thinking:

Midge McCracken: low-tier office drone, binge-drinker, bigot, rage-a-holic, totally wrapped up in herself about 95% of the time… an inspiration to 90s women all over the world. [salutes] This comic constantly walked a line between vulgar and deeply resonant, or hilarious and bleakly sad. Not many writer-artists can pull that off for as long as Gregory did. [salutes]

I actually review horror comics for a website, and I just finished reading the full run of Sink which is a deliciously dark and gory crime book. I highly recommend it. I will be interviewing the writer about it pretty soon, actually.

2 Likes

Any Tim Sale fans here? I met him at SDCC in 2005 and he drew this Superman in my sketchbook. I love how he captured the spirit of the character in just a few lines.

He passed away today at age 66.

2 Likes

I’ve got to throw in a shout-out to Ryan North’s Squirrel Girl run. It’s aimed at the younger crowd, but if you don’t let that bother you and just let Ryan North’s infectious joy and enthusiasm wash over you, it is an absolute delight.

2 Likes

Aw… balls.

RIP.

Ah yes, Ryan North: the world’s laziest comic artist. I’m not saying that’s an insult, more referencing that his main claim to fame has been reusing art since 2008 or so.

Indeed. Very sorry to hear of his passing. I finally read last fall’s The Long Halloween special from my TBR pile, I love his stuff, it’s got Alex Toth flavor all over it.

1 Like

This is the first comic book I ever bought (wish I still had it) in 1969:

4 Likes

I read Sad Sack comics all the time as a kid.

1 Like

Sad Sack seems like an odd title. And an odd name for a character, while I’m at it.

It was an expression before it was a comic.

1 Like

On those long trips to Grandma’s house, mom would stop into a local used book store, and pick up stacks of comics like Sad Sack, Richie Rich, Little Lotta, Hot Stuff, and Casper, and we kids would pass them amongst ourselves during the drive. Loved those things.

(and on the drive back, usually at night, we’d listen to old-time radio and the CBS radio mystery… fond memories)

1 Like

I think he was The Sad Sack, officially, but I don’t remember him having any other name. I believe that comic started in a military magazine like Stars & Stripes.

2 Likes

I think you’re right, the expression started in the military along with things like “SNAFU” and “FUBAR”.

1 Like

“Sad Sack” was shortened from “sad sack of s(expletive deleted)”. The original comic was published during World War II. The creator is the one drawing the covers of the later Harvey Comics series (long past his drawing prime, but I loved those rough images as well as the other artists in the comic book’s interior.

From 1969-1974/6, my main comic books were Sad Sack, Popeye, The Flintstones, Hot Stuff, Spooky, Archie (the various titles of each series), and some others).

After graduating to humor magazines as a teen (though I enjoyed the Tin Tin books from the library), I discovered Howard the Duck, ultimately guiding me to indies like Bone, Cerebus, and Strangers in Paradise as an adult.

1 Like

Attention, @Pak-Man

Please be good… Or at least fun…

…oh man, I mean, with a team like that, it’s going to be a comedy, it’s just a matter of how intentional the humor is.