Comic Books

Last time they appeared was in a crossover with Deadpool, so you’re probably not wrong.

2 Likes

Deadpool: where the stupid trademarks go to not die.

2 Likes

Just finished “The Fall of Cthulhu,” and have to say how impressed I was with it. It’s a 600 page work detailing the attempted destruction of the earth by Lovecraft’s horrors and it does an amazing job of staying true to the source material. My only complaint is that Cthulhu’s not really in it much. But it’s TOTALLY worth a read.

3 Likes

This has been bothering me: Why isn’t the Batcave covered in bat guano?

1 Like

Because Batman is potty trained.

2 Likes

Alfred is a busy butler…

2 Likes

So, who’s mutant Jesus? They have Magneto’s helmet, and on the chair, looks like the Phoenix.

The X-Men line has been in a slump since Hickman left as writer and overseer. But it’s showing signs of life of late, especially loved what writer Kieron Gillen did with the first issue of The Immortal X-Men (pictured above).

Been an X-Men fan since the 70s, lost track of them in the 90s with all the jackets and big hair (and crap stories), got back into them the past 10 or so years.

Funny, though they are called the X-“MEN”, I’ve always been partial to the ladies. Oh, Magneto and Wolverine are cool, but the women of X are the best.

2 Likes

I kind of feel like by now they would have rebranded to the X-People, but imagining the fan response to that is just exhausting.

2 Likes

I mean, I think that’s a fault of the English language and not really the fault of DC.

1 Like

X-Men rolls off the tongue better than X-People, but yeah, some would push for it, and others would push back.

For me it’s just a brand at this point, rather than a designation of sex or sexual identity. I know not everyone’s going down that road with me, but that’s how I roll with it.

There are better things to take issue with, yeah.

1 Like

The obvious solution is to change the title back and forth every year: between X-Men and X-Women. Then everyone who feels that some women are too touchy about the first one can demonstrate their own reasonableness regarding the second option. :wink:

1 Like

Y’know, I’ve never been touchy about any of that, if it was called X-Women in the 60s and men grumbled about that in to 2020s, I’d just roll my eyes - I don’t care, call me a woman, call me a dipsh— call me whatever you want. I’m not going to get tied up in knots over it.

My guess is you’d be the exception that proves the rule. Kind of a moot point anyway. Marvel was terrible about its women characters in the Sixties, and its brief attempt to pander to the feminist movement in the Seventies lasted about half an hour before they abandoned it.

I’ll always fondly remember an interview with Marie Severin where she talked about how everyone on staff would go on weekend fishing trips and she was never allowed to. Because they didn’t want to swear in front of her because her brother John might get upset. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

That’s hilarious, and also sad and silly. I remember Amanda Conner talking about her struggles to be taken seriously, even at that late stage, “b-b-but you’re a girl?”

I’m thinking, you never heard of George O’Keeffe, Mary Cassatt, Berthe Morisot, or Rosa Bonheur? I guess it was the old boys club or something, because talent wise what a stupid mindset. Yeah, women are talented, women can draw and write and play sports and do science and be in the military and do a whole lot of neat stuff (maybe it’s because I grew up with strong, talented, amazing women, and wasn’t exposed to that “women can’t” attitude, I saw first-hand that “women can”, and was baffled when I’d come across that negative - my grandmother was an athlete, my aunt was a cop, my mother a painter and pianist, my uncle was a nurse, his wife was a surgeon, people can be and do whatever they wish).

But on the other, yeah, words, I’ve always been like that. Like when songwriters would get upset when A&R people and industry insiders would refer to our work as “the product” - and I get that, it’s disrespectful, we poured our blood, sweat and tears into this “product”, we gave birth to it, “product” bah! But I just took a piss out of it. My first CD in Nashville, I titled “Not a Viable Commercial Product” and my original idea was to have this beautiful art, and then rubber stamp the “title” over that art, as if it was rejected (and defaced). Others were tied up in knots over the word, and I was having a laugh.

I don’t care, call it whatever you want, call me whatever you want.

1 Like

It’s just a pale imitation of Doom Patrol anyway.

1 Like

Bah!

Sorry, I momentarily turned into a goat.

Na, Doom Patrol’s cool, and likely inspired the X-Folk (though I’d say Lee had to have read John Wyndham’s The Chrysalids at some point, I feel that influence on the series. And I can see how subsequent writers split that novel’s seeming contradiction - peace and conflict - into two, Xavier and Magneto’s hopes for mutant-kind)

1 Like

Er, contradiction? Also, remind me what Doom Patrol is?

1 Like

I really love what Idols Of Perversity had to say about the double bind of women artists. (Yeah, I know Steve Martin didn’t like it, but I don’t like him much. So it evens out. :stuck_out_tongue: ) Even if it IS more polemic than genuine art critique. It does feature a slew of comfortingly bad art. :grin:

Tillie Olson’s Silences, too. Though it’s mostly about writing, a lot of it applies to other media.

2 Likes

I’m a mass of typos, eventually I find them - Some know this, others don’t, but I gently request that folks not point them out, as it embarrasses me (my silly brain, scrambling words like that, why, oh why, brain?)

Doom Patrol? DC comic book series of the 60s about a unique team of misfits, which has gone on to inspire a lot of strange and original tales in print (see Grant Morrison and Gerard Way’s runs for a couple of top-notch examples) and a current TV series that’s quite popular.

Crosses fingers there are no typos before hitting “post comment” :wink:

2 Likes