Completely Random Thoughts ...

Why did we drop the folklore tradition of the Phantom Carriage? Why aren’t there stories about Death riding up to your uncle’s McMansion in a 2003 PT Cruiser?

3 Likes

Portrayed on film extremely well in the 1930s film Dead of Night.

3 Likes

what can only be described as two HUGE Circuse Clown Cannons being transported on 287 today. that was a new one for the books.

1 Like

…that’s an interesting description.

1 Like

minus typos. but they literally looked like they just came out of Bozo’s backyard on their way to the tent.

1 Like

When I am very tired, like lately, I tend to talk to myself out loud. The other night, I was reminding myself to start the dishwasher before I went to bed.

The actual words that came out of my mouth:

“Remember, start the dish laundry before you get in bed.”

pause

“I mean, start the dishwasher.”

pause again

“Technically, I was still right the first time.”

9 Likes

I’m calling it the dish laundry from now on.

5 Likes

Same!

4 Likes

So, did Sears ever really sell ponchos?

3 Likes

We’re glad you asked.

2 Likes

Crazy thoughts in the shower this morning: Physics says we can’t have light without heat, and I suspect the inverse is also true – we cannot have heat without light. “Light” is just our name for electromagnetic radiation in the part of the spectrum that we can see. With tools, we can see our body heat in infrared. It seems reasonable that of all the billions of humans who’ve ever existed, at least a few would have mutations that allowed vision into the infrared/ultraviolet ranges, which might be the source of things like people claiming they can see auras?

3 Likes

At one point Sears sold cars and houses.

4 Likes

I had a reproduction 1901 Sears Catalog. Sears used to sell everything.

3 Likes

Mmmmm. Taco latte.

2 Likes

I mean, probably not to a degree that’s very significant, I don’t think?

2 Likes

I imagine so. Just a weird mental rambling that occurred to me. Showers are good for that. Assuming such mutations have occurred over time, they could themselves vary in “severity.” Someone might end up with the ability to just barely see into infrared, so once in awhile, maybe at certain times of day, they’d see something the rest of us can’t. And to them it would just be normal, so they might never realize what they had.

1 Like

I had a thought earlier today for something really cool with the Turkey Day marathon. This chance of this happening is virtually nil, but still…

The wording on the Turkey Day voting says that we are picking “four of the movies shown”. That implies that there will be additional movies as part of the marathon that Alternaversal picks. We also know that every episode that they have the rights to show is available for viewing in the Gizmoplex. What better way to do a surprise reveal of them getting the rights back for an old episode than to drop it into the marathon. Like imagine you’re watching the marathon and all of a sudden the next episode up turns out to be The Deadly Mantis. Then the episode becomes generally available in the Gizmoplex on Friday.

Again, I think this isn’t likely to ever happen, since I get the feeling that the episodes they don’t have the rights to they won’t ever be able to acquire.

5 Likes

I would love it if there was some sort of surprise like that.

4 Likes

These periodic e-mails from a certain company, always with the subject line “Joe Bloblow, ever wonder if your reviews are getting noticed?”

Nope, actually not! AFAIC, they can go Joe Bloblow themselves!

2 Likes

Also in The Phantom Carriage (1921) which has father-with-axe-going-after-family scene a scant 60 years before The Shining.

A guy named Julius Rosenwald turned them into 19th-century Amazon after Sears gave Roebuck the heave-ho. There’s a documentary (the first 2/3rds of which is excellent) called Rosenwald about him.

A…certain company? Une certaine entreprise? This is probably obvious to most readers but I have no idea which one would harass you about your reviews being noticed.

4 Likes