Computers, Cell Phones, & Other Electronic Gadgets

Got a cool computer? Laptops, Tablets, and Cell Phones OH MY!
Upgrades? Repairs? Other problems or issues you may have?
Let’s Talk about it :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Clearly just a work laptop. No funny business over here.

3 Likes

I used to build my own computers back in the 2000s when I was self employed for my business but now i only have 3 dedicated desktops I use on a regular basis; the one I’m on now still uses Windows 7, the other 2 have Windows 10- one for video editing, and the other for watching backed up movies and TV shows.
I have a stout Dell laptop to use for USPS Union stuff and for use while on vacation
I still have a couple older Dells that still have Windows XP on them and work just fine.

5 Likes

I have 3 Macs (2 Macbooks, 1 iMac) at home, a Macbook for work and my daughter has an iPad. Plus we all have iPhones. Yes, we’re sucking Apple’s teat, but I like their products.

4 Likes

I used to collect oddments of technology, but now I’m going backwards in time. I have an old round-key manual typewriter, and would like to pick up a small letterpress at some point. I wouldn’t even turn down a Jacquard loom.

That being said, I’ve had to resist multiple times getting a 3D printer. As fascinating as I find them, I know it would be a dust collector a week after purchase.

5 Likes

What kind of software are you using for the video editing?

3 Likes

Either Pinnacle Studio or AVS Video editor. I make random vlog videos on YouTube (RVR2) and Product Review videos on Amazon.

3 Likes

You aren’t alone. Just one Mac laptop here. But also Apple Watch, iphone and 4 (yes, four) Apple tvs. Apple knows more about me than I know about myself.

3 Likes

THWACK!

I still have the electric typewriter that my parents gave me for my high school graduation (yup, I’m older than hard drives). The case is filthy, covered in stickers, and held together with a bungee cord. The carriage return used to impart enough torque to my wobbly college apartment kitchen table to spill my beer. I kept it as sort of a curiosity, but my kid just rolled her eyes, so I should probably chuck it.

3 Likes

You could always convert it. I’ve thought about picking up a typewriter specifically for that purpose.

7 Likes

Oh, I don’t know. That seems like a long way to go for something that’s just…cute.

Oh! I also have a small collection of old electric fans, you know, the ones with huge gaps in the cage so that you can slice off fingertips? And dodgy cords and plugs. I don’t know why, I just like dangerfans. Don’t judge, this is my basement, not yours.

7 Likes

I own one of these. I will never part with it. The 8-track player still works. I have a Kansas album on 8-track.

18 Likes

Nor should you, that is some splendor right there.

I ganked that Little Feat 8-track from my brother.

6 Likes

Yah, I got a more practical USB typewriter keyboard on Kickstarter. They sell them still here.

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Keyboard-Chrome-Language-Switch-Cherry/dp/B07BZM7F6N/

So cool! That reminds me, I used to own a Panasonic Toot-A-Loop as a kid. I recently saw one in a riffed movie and it brought the memories flooding back.

7 Likes

I remember that thing! You could wear it on a chain like Flava Flav.

I had this one, which was not nearly as cool:

7 Likes

Ah, and one more old radio I remember having. The Realistic Weatheradio.

11 Likes

Oh man I had a couple of these when I was a kid! Not sure what ever happened to them :pensive:

5 Likes

Building komputor masheens is fun!

Say hello to Icaras:

… which is my daily box. It’s a Threadripper and it’s difficult to make it break a sweat. The hardest it gets pushed is on media transcoding:

Cores? Yes; have some. Left is DVD down to MP4; right is Blu-Ray to same but also crunching DTS audio (job completed in under 15min).

Despite all of the modern parts under its hood, its keyboard is a bolt modded Model M because they’re built to last and I need my keyboards clicky.

It’s one of a decent clutch of computers living here. My Plex server and a VR rig are both sporting v2 versions of the DAN case (and I just discovered that I never took photos of either; will have to remedy that sometime later). Also got a System76 NUC that * cough cough * emulation * cough *.

5 Likes

If you want to beat up on your cores, you should try some photogrammetry. It’s fun and free! I wanted a Threadripper, but could only swing a 2700x at the time, so I’m envious. On the other hand, I now have 80GB of RAM.

3 Likes

Re: Weatheradio

My parents had that when I was growing up. Only we mostly got weird scanners on it. My mom heard about Reagan getting shot before it even hit the news.

6 Likes