Computers, Cell Phones, & Other Electronic Gadgets

That reminds me of the shortwave radio that we used to have. Something similar to, if not the same as, this one:

I would spend hours tuning in to various stations around the world. One very weird experience was listening to a Cuban propaganda radio station broadcasting in English where they were reading names and addresses of people who sent in postcards and they read the name and address of someone who lived down the street from me in Indiana!

6 Likes

You know… that’s a cool idea! Thanks for that!

5 Likes

I only talk about those things with The Computer Clan, makers of such fine MST3K fanvids as Ken’s Cinema of Shenanigans.

3 Likes

Also, I doubt that many people here will care, but I also have a Neumann U 87 microphone.

Edit: That’s not my hand. I googled the image.

8 Likes

I don’t know what makes it special, but it’s pretty.

My most interesting microphone is a wired in-ear binaural headset. Not ritzy, but fun to pull out when an interesting noise happens.

4 Likes

Well if you’re curious- https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/the-legendary-neumann-u-87/

4 Likes

I love everything about that… thing
@8track

5 Likes

Has anyone here ever played with a Software-Defined Radio card/dongle/whatever? I don’t reckon I’m smart enough to do anything useful with it, but it looks so fun.

3 Likes
5 Likes

I recently rewatched all of CSI and it was fun to see the older cell phones when there was actual variation in design. Grissom had this awesome swivel one that rotated open. I myself was a fan of the ones that slid open. And of course flip phones were so satisfying.

Plus you could add phone charms and other decorations.

Granted it’s much easier to find phone cases now a days.

7 Likes

D83rz0vU8AEpppD

Somehow still looks more professional than a Smartphone

9 Likes

Back when you could potentially have friendly swordfights with the phone antenna.

6 Likes

Back when people talked on their phones (hard to believe but true!)

7 Likes

Doesn’t it?! Not to mention you could actually, you know, hold the thing. Candybar phones were aptly named and I loved them; they were engineered to be held in a human hand.

8 Likes

I own multiple Atari 2600 Video Computer Systems and around 150 cartridges. Hard to pick a favorite game, but Journey Escape makes me laugh with its Don’t Stop Believin’ music.

10 Likes

There was a C64 game called Frantic Freddie that would alternate between Classic Rock staples and ragtime.

7 Likes

Well I have built my own computer, that’s currently Out of Comission because the boot drive died and I don’t feel like screwing with a fresh install of Windows on a new drive right now b/c my time is scarce. The system is out of date anyway.

Other than that, I have a crap-ton of gaming systems. And this isn’t exactly high-tech, but if guitars count, I have… I think 14 of those right now, ranging from cheap store-brand beaters to really nice PRS electrics and Taylor acoustics.

6 Likes

I guess there was a recent windows 10 update that prevented my old Lexmark Z715 printers from communicating… I still run my small tax business on the side and this turned into a huge deal because I could no longer print anything! Luckily an I T friend had a spare printer available with extra toner he sold me for $50. Took a few hours to install because the damn windows 10 decided it needed to do More updates :expressionless: at least it works and I’m back in business.

3 Likes

I have a limited edition Maziora Dreamcast system. Only 500 were produced and it’s highly sought after by DC collectors. It stands out as it’s coated in motor paint that’s predominantly a sparkly racing green but also appears purple depending on the angle you look at it. Not only is it in near perfect condition but it has the original box and all the gubbins. I’m also fortunate enough to have the Maziora branded outer shipping box too.

6 Likes

Amiga 500 (68030), 4000 (68060/PPC/Mediator), 3000T (68060 with zz9000), 2 CDTV, 2 CD-32, A1 G4XE, X1000, Vampire V4 standalone

5 Likes