Conservation of humor - What incredibly short riffs produced the biggest laughs?

Spin-off from the running gags thread; it’s always a magical moment when the guys can leave you rolling in the aisles with just a single well-placed word… or two. So, in this thread, lets celebrate the shortest riffs that are three words or less that left you rolling in the aisles.

For me, the bit in Gunslinger where Beverley knocks on Miro’s door (that’s obviously an interior door leading out to a hallway) and the guys respond with "Come out!" cracks me up every time.

And while it doesn’t quite count as 3 words because it’s preceded by a creepy Ho-Ho-Ho laugh, the bit in Santa Claus where the kid writes a letter to Santa asking for a little brother or sister, Crow’s extremely enthusiastic "Can do!" is another priceless example of a how two very small words can produce a massive laugh.

Honorary mention goes to every time one of the guys would start making chicken noises while Krankor was on screen during Prince of Space

And this gem from Night of the Blood Beast
MST3K regret nothing

24 Likes

The two favorites that pop immediately to mind are from RiffTrax, both long-time running jokes: “Is it?” and “Keep rolling!”

22 Likes

From Mitchell

“Baby oil?!? AAAAUUUGH!”

9 Likes

“Hi-Keeba!”

18 Likes

Any whoopie-cushion noise made when someone sits down.

12 Likes

Somehow, they still get me with “Sleeeeeeep!”. Especially in Hamlet(?) When they follow it up with a whispered “Sleeep.”

After all this time?

Always.

25 Likes

From the Netflix episodes, Hampton/Crow/the writer’s room has a keen sense of when “BANG!” will get a startled burst of laughter out of me.

32 Likes

Every. Damn. Time.

9 Likes

“Is it?” is exactly what I thought of. It always brings a big laugh from me after some ridiculous claim is made.

15 Likes

If we’re doing RT stuff as well, I have to point out the sudden “HELP US!!” as the twin black cats look forlornly at the viewer in Crater Lake.

(Come to think of it, that has its antecedent in the faces of the gloomy pioneer kids from back in the days of Truck Farmer.)

8 Likes

That’s mine too. In Cry Wilderness, when Jonah says “Aw, I’m gonna have to wing him just to slow him down” — very funny. But the real punchline is Crow shouting “BANG!” And then continuing to shout “Bang!” every time Paul runs off any other time in the movie. Absolutely killed me dead with laughter the first time I watched it. Now that’s what I call conservation of humor

23 Likes

Joel’s completely frustrated “DO SOMETHING!” in Manos. Actually, Bill’s riff in that same scene in the RT version is hilarious as well. The laborious Torgo stands up scene is wrapped up with a “Oh, don’t get up, Torgo!”

Oh, and this:

20 Likes

Particularly funny in Teenage Strangler when Betty’s father and Lt. Anderson sit down. Cracks me up every time! :joy:

8 Likes

It might be overused, but sometimes the well placed “line…”, when the actor has clearly forgotten their line, can crack me up.

20 Likes

From “Time of the Apes”…

"I don’t care!" whenever little Johnny does something.

26 Likes

From Monster A-Go Go:

Narrator: There is one terrifying word in the world of nuclear physics…

Servo: “Oops!”

40 Likes

Perhaps not favorite, but certainly springing to mind… The many hissed "Neil!"s in The Leech Woman. (ETA: after further reflection, this is actually one that bothers me a lot and shouldn’t be included in any favorites list)

One that makes me chuckle and that I use often: “70s? Yep, 70s.”

Joel’s “blelelelelelele” from The Giant Gila Monster.

14 Likes

Anytime they do the Ator: NO!

12 Likes

It’s connected to a previous riff in the MST movie where they speak of “the secret government Eggo project,” and “Paging Dr. Jemima”.

The riff then is Mike saying in a serious bass voice:

“Yum.”

Kills me every time.

16 Likes

Certainly not a favorite - I don’t even understand why they’re doing it, or what the joke is supposed to be. I understand they’re supposed to be the animals on the woman’s coat, I just don’t understand why they’d be screeching “Neil” throughout the movie.

3 Likes