Conservation of humor - What incredibly short riffs produced the biggest laughs?

I could be wrong, but might that be Horrors of Spider Island?

Servo makes some cheerleading reference about the guy trapped in the web, prompting Crow to say “MRxL.”

7 Likes

“We’ve got spirit … yes we do … we’ve got spirit … how 'bout … uhhhggghhh.”

“MRxL.”

That’s the one! I was thinking it was in S9 or S10 but couldn’t find it. Thanks!

5 Likes

Very welcome - cheers! :smiley:

3 Likes

There’s a very subtle one that happens in Out of This World. Mike says (as Bill Dudley towards Red disguised as a policeman) “Hey, I got donuts. Come back!”. Servo very quietly chides him for it. A callback to the signed agreement of “No more cop/donut riffs” from The Indestructible Man! Nice touch.

5 Likes

They prefer the term gravitationally challenged riffs, incredibly.

4 Likes

I forget the movie, but at one particularly ludicrous juncture Crow quietly mutters: “Oh, I don’t know…”

5 Likes

That’s a recurring one, and one of my favorites.

Like when the title shows up on “WARRIOR OF THE LOST WORLD” and Joel says, “Oh, I don’t know.”

5 Likes

The “meow” along with the music in Assignment: Venezuela gets me every time, too.

5 Likes

“I’M BUSY!”

From The Day Time Ended (though most of that experiment is pure gold )

6 Likes

Sometimes they just snicker audibly at parts of the movie without even making a joke and it’s funnier than any possible riff could be.

8 Likes

Was reading this thread yesterday during the buildup to the S13 premiere, so I thought of this “conservation of humor” concept when I LOST. IT. during the “time travel” sequence early in the movie: as Luisa is spinning around, one of the bots gasps out “I have ver-TEEEE-gooo…!”

Just three words but I think they made me stop breathing for several minutes I was laughing so hard.

6 Likes

It was the o/` little dead Corvette o/` riff that wiped me out from 1301. :smiley:

8 Likes

Santo leans back against the cave wall
Jonah: “BONK! Ow!”

3 Likes

I loved the “BLUUUURG-GUURRRG-GUURG”, as all I could think of is how much barf would inevitably be all over that time travel machine.

6 Likes

“HEY! She’s Dead!” From Space Mutiny where they leave in a scene with an actress that had died earlier in the film.

Although “Watch, as our brave hero roasts the disabled man!” may be my favorite MST3K line ever.

4 Likes

I’m guessing that for some reason the name just struck them as funny. I do think they kind of beat that into the ground. It was amusing the first few times and then it was just grating. Same with “Gabe!” in RT’s Batman serials.

From The Truck Farmer:
“Here in southern Texas, there is an additional problem.”
Mike: “Texans!”

Excellent choice, but wrong host/speaker. It was Crow.

3 Likes

I think you’re confusing two scenes. The constant “Neil!” screeching was meant to be his fiancée waiting in the car for him. The furs were already hanging in the wardrobe.

4 Likes

Crow giggling at the special effects in Danger!! Death Ray falls under this. His laughter at Santo’s entrance in Samson Vs. the Vampire Women, too!

6 Likes

In these respective riffs, Hampton and Baron just kill it as Crow and Servo. They’re just too good at this, and we’re all the better for it!

8 Likes

Came here to post “Rocky/Again?” and was proud to see it already listed, so here’s a few from 1301:

“We must find them!”
Crow/Jonah/Tom (in unison): “HOW???”

And at the end, all the cars pull in to the parking lot with only the trumpet riff of an old march I can’t find the name of (it’s a very familiar piece). ALL three cars pull in individually. Afterward, when all cars arrive to pull into shot, everyone joins in! I spent way too much time laughing at this riff and for good reason.

6 Likes