Conservation of humor - What incredibly short riffs produced the biggest laughs?

I laugh like a little kid every time Trace says “BANG!” in MST3K or Mads livestreams.

13 Likes

“Hi-keeba!”

“FOOTBALL PRACTICE!”

13 Likes

I feel ashamed I forgot that one. It’s one of my favorite MST3K riffs of all time.

The slow-motion “Mmmmmboooooop” is possibly the single funniest moments in what was already a killer episode. Even beating out “I’m comeeeeeeeeeing”

16 Likes

10 Likes

EXACTLY.

There’s always something awesome in seeing a 1950s character with a pencil-thin mustache, because you KNOW that riff is coming.

12 Likes

The Sinister Urge…
Worst actress ever playing a young aspiring actress: I’ll work ever so hard. I’ll be great in your movie!

Mike: Not like now!

This Island Earth…
Normal vieeeewwwww!

Young Man’s Fancy…
Squishy girl: I just love bacon when it’s all crispy like this!

Mike: Yeah, evidently.

Finally, in I Accuse My Parents when they make the quacking noise every time someone opens the door and you see the random duck picture.

17 Likes

Thank you. I was thinking of that same bit, but I couldn’t recall what movie it was from. That bit quacks me up every time!

14 Likes

My favorite example of this is Mike booming out “The Projected Man!” 40-some minutes into that movie, with the cast still dithering and obsessing over whether “Lembach” will be staying in London to see their invention in action, and little if any screen time for any projected men thus far.

10 Likes

“Gutter ball!” from I Was a Teenage Werewolf. Dance scenes are some of my favorites, so ripe for embarrassment. (See also Space Mutiny, The Horror of Party Beach.)

4 Likes

Perhaps it’s cheating, but any instance in which someone or something startles the MST3K crew, causing one or all of them to go “AHHHH!”

One favorite instance of this was in The Christmas That Almost Wasn’t. After getting Movie Sign, Jonah and the Bots reenter the theater at the exact time that there’s a disturbing closeup of Prune. The very first thing that the riffers say in this theater segment - before they have a chance to even sit down, no less - is an expertly timed “AHHHH!” that gets me each and every time.

14 Likes

I got two:

The Girl in Lovers’ Lane - train approaches… “CAMERA THREE!!!”

The Painted Hills - Lassie and the bad guy get into an intense fight off-screen which leads to him letting out a blood-curdling scream. Then Lassie just saunters off… “Snausages!”

15 Likes

I love when they repeat the title during slow/ironic parts of the movie. They do this in Manos when there’s a lot of driving or too much time spent on the couple making out in the car. And another good one is The Horrors of Spider Island, when the camera is panning over all these sweaty women in torn dresses and underwear reclining languidly while the one and only guy walks through them and everyone’s silent but their body language makes it clear that they are ~desperately horny and one of the bots just goes “The /‘Horrors’/ of /Spider/ Island.” Makes me snigger every time

12 Likes

Goodnight McCloud. I don’t know why, but that always makes me laugh.

7 Likes

It’s a running gag throughout two different episodes, but the goofy names Joel/Mike and the 'bots come up with for some muscle-laden beefcake guy always crack me up. It’s why Space Mutiny is my favorite episode. 12 to the Moon, which is the other episode with this formula, is not AS funny to me, probably because there are less names for the beefcake character and the movie itself is less… eighties. But the running gag is still highly amusing.

9 Likes

“…at first.”

“Shut up, Iris.”

“Sweet freedom.” from Carnival Magic

“Go to bed, old man!”

And the aforementioned “‘Chief?’ ‘McCloud!’”, “BANG!”, “SLEEEEEEEEP!”, and “Pretty nice!”

12 Likes

“Shut Up, Iris!” for sure.

“SLEEEEEP!” I can do with the kids.

Mike’s “Wow” in Young Man’s Fancy when Alexander apologizes for being “under for such a long time”.

Mike’s “Drinking in college? I never heard of that.” in “Is This Love?” had me in stitches. Like I laughed WAY too hard even though I’d seen it before.

“By Mennen” in San Francisco International. Love that.

8 Likes

The voice inflection is the cherry on top that takes it to the next level

9 Likes

Two Tom Servo screams: “EEEEEND” at the end of Batwoman, and “AAAAAA” during the scene in Mitchell when he’s verbally sparring with a little kid.

12 Likes

The forcefully stated MITCHELL! several times during that movie…timed just right to make me laugh every time.

14 Likes

Still waiting on the mashup of either name array with Jim Croce’s “I’ve Got A Name.” I mean, we can’t kill the poor fellow again. He’s already gone.

(Or the aforementioned “Dark One” transmutations would be fine, too.)

5 Likes