Cover versions that are better than the originals

I still very much like the original version better…but this is one of my favorite covers ever!

As some very intelligent MSTies say, o7 .

4 Likes

This is not better than the original, but I had to share it because it’s so weird. A countrified version of Stevie Wonder’s Boogie On Reggae Woman including banjo solo.

It’s honestly not bad, but it’s very odd if you know the original song.

1 Like

Not going back through 342 other posts, but if nobody else has done it already, I nominate Joan Jett’s cover of Crimson and Clover

6 Likes

I think I can love herrrr…

“Hey, wait, you can’t sing that! You’re a girl!”

“Bite me! Crimson and cloverrrrr…

1 Like

Not that odd. Not in this century, anyway. :wink:

(Related:)

5 Likes

These may have already been posted…

overplayed on film and TV and trailers, but for good reason

1 Like

I feel like I’m the only one who doesn’t like Gary Jules’ cover of Mad World, but I really don’t like it.

1 Like

puts chills down my spine, but to each their own

plus, I wished I’d written the lyrics, it’s so my style, so my life

3 Likes

Also, you may be skeptical because of who the singer is, but trust me, this is really good.

7 Likes

I unironically love Rick Astley and am delighted to see him having this revival.

5 Likes

Agreed. I never understood why ‘rickrolling’ was a thing as if that was a bad song.

2 Likes
1 Like

This:

Regrettably, this clip did not include the best one liner in Simpsons history. After they finished, Mr Burns (to Smithers): “Have The Rolling Stones killed.”

5 Likes

I was going to berate both of you for not using the search function but then I realized it wouldn’t pick up a video post if there was no text reference.

So you get a warning. For now.

What you lack in quantity, you make up in volume.

I never got the impression that was the implication. Most of the antagonism toward the meme didn’t actually seem to be directed at the song. Maybe that’s how the joke started but I think it spread well beyond knowledge and memory of the original. So it’s kind of nice that it gave Astley—who seems to have handled it perfectly—a little signal boost.

3 Likes

Somehow these minstrels did NOT sooth his jangled nerves.

3 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Never liked the Ohio Players version much, but I love the RHCP version.

4 Likes

Some say you can alter a song all the way down to its roots just by changing the gender of the vocalist. This seems… exaggerated to me. But then again there’s…

(And sad farewell to the divine Ms. Winslow. Passed away this week. Only 57. A stroke. :frowning_face: )

and…

The former? Really only became a favorite after I heard this take. The latter? Always was a favorite, so… :thinking:

2 Likes

I think this speaks for itself. PMJ is a national treasure.

9 Likes