Cover versions that are better than the originals

I… don’t know who made the original…? :thinking:

This guy does sleepy-eyed well. He could star in my MST3K: The Musical as Joel if Glen Phillips from the “Everything But You” video isn’t available. :grin:

1 Like

Original by Ed’s Redeeming Qualities.

2 Likes

I’m not even that into AC/DC but I can appreciate this still…

1 Like
1 Like

How about this cover of a Vangelis tune?

1 Like

This song called Love Ka? (ラブカ?), which was originally sung by a Vocaloid voicebank named Flower and composed by Hiiragi Kirai, had a cover sung by a currently-popular Japanese singer named Ado, which sounds like it had a lot more feels put into it.

1 Like

This one dropped on my radar earlier this year. Dunno about better, but definitely a good cover:

1 Like

Which reminds me of this special holiday version:

I guess technically it’s not a cover since EC is also in this version.

2 Likes

Actually, I just learned that the Elvis Costello version is itself a cover of the original by Nick Lowe.

But while we’re on the subject, PMJ did a great cover at their live show in November, and they just posted it on YT:

2 Likes

That’s one of the best record covers I’ve ever seen.

I may be a day late, but screw it. Despite the language barrier, I think this cover of The Little Drummer Boy became my favorite.

1 Like

This is a cover of super nintendo era 16 bit game music and I will not apologize

Maybe not better than, but Leonid & Friends gets my vote for best tribute band ever. Leonid just loves Chicago and wanted to get a bunch of musicians together to play their stuff … note for note.

3 Likes

[gasp!]

'Scuse me. I need to go lie down. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I played tenor sax for several years and I could never get it to sound like that. Always seemed to sound like a marching band no matter what I tried to play.

1 Like

Hey, at least you were trying. :+1: I’m sure Mr. B was proud.

As much as I love AC/DC, gotta give props to 2Cellos for this one.
CRANK. IT. UP!

Is there a thread for covers that make you wish the original had never been recorded? Because I heard a cover of Everybody Wants to Rule the World recently that made me want to poke my eardrums out

:open_mouth: (followed by happy crying) Four Seasons YEAAHHHH!!!

1 Like

Have you ever heard NSYNC’s cover of Boston’s “More Than a Feeling?”

Don’t.