Create your MST 3k "Dream Season"

I don’t think I have 13 off the top of my head…but here are a few…

Knight Rider 2010 (1994)
Bates Motel (1987)
Rock n Roll Nightmare (1987)
Head (1968)
Ghoulies (1985)
Frankenhooker (1990)
Intercessor: Another Rock n Roll Nightmare (2005)

2 Likes

Funny story… I worked on the rebooted tv show of Knight Rider back in 2008… If MST 3K riffed seasons of TV, they would have had a field day with that, haha!

1 Like

OK just gonna drop this one here which is actually plausible.

ALL the Trancers films.

I mean its literally 6 films all of which are pretty cheesy…yet are just entertaining enough to be enjoyably riffed

AND odds are likely not too hard or expensive to get the rights to do.

2 Likes

What’s even more interesting and something I like about @InterestingWerewolf 's list is that War of the Gargantuans is a sequel/follow-up to Frankenstein Conquers the World, and the fact IW switched their order, kinda like what happened with the Hercules and Ator films.

2 Likes

Glad someone got that. :wink:

as I said, a lot of thought was actually given to not just the titles I picked, but the order and placement of how the season would unfold.

2 Likes

It’s definitely an underappreciated art not unlike a DJ setting up a track list. The last 3 episodes of season 8 are so ingrained into my mind as a perfect flow of episodes that I cannot watch one without watching all three and only in the order of Space Mutiny → Time Chasers → Overdrawn at the Memory Bank. It’s my “holy MST3K trilogy” like Star Warts OT, Back to the Future, and Lord of the Rings.

4 Likes

Well, let’s start with the movie I have wanted to see riffed ever since I first fell for the show, and see where it goes from there. Also, I love the shorts, so I’ve included plenty – alas, the videos don’t seem to link quite right, so I’ve just made links to them.

1. From Hell It Came – Rubber tree suit monster terrorizes natives, what else do you need to know?

1. Godmonster of Indian Flats – Nothing sheepish about this monster! …sorry, I couldn’t resist that.

1. The Monster of Camp Sunshine – Stock footage! More stock footage! And even more stock footage!

With a short: A Touch of Magic – a spiritual sequel to Design for Dreaming, believe it or not…

1. No Retreat, No Surrender II – yes, they made a sequel. And a third one, too. But there’s no need to dogpile.

1. The Roller Blade Seven – Rollerblading gangs, banjo music and o/’ Priiiiiiide of the Yankeeeeeeees! o/’ …not to mention Joe Estevez and Frank Stallone!

And let’s pair that up with A is for Atom – the riffers deserve a cartoon, right?

1. Birdemic: Shock and Terror – Yes, Rifftrax covered it already, but a number of films have been double (and in the case of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, triple riffed). It’s the SoL’s turn.

1. Birdemic II: The Resurrection – Back to back Birdemics!

Served with a Coronet social engineering short, Everyday Courtesy.

1. Deadly PreyThe Most Dangerous Game… done so, so wrong. Also, Troy Donahue and Cameron Mitchell.

1. Godzilla vs. Mecha-Godzilla – you have to have a proper Japanese kaiju somewhere along the line!

And a short, Jam Handy presents Test Tube Tale!

1. Yor, the Hunter from the Future – Because we need more Chunk Beefslam, that’s why!

1. Atomic Rulers of the World – more Japanese superhero action

Jam Handy strikes again with A Revolutionary New Triumph in Tape!

1. Day the World Ended – They let us MSTies have our fun with it in The Home Game, now let’s see what the pros can do to… er, I mean with it. Also, there has to be a Corman.

1. Plan 9 from Outer Space – Yes, I know the Brains have explained why they never tackled this one, but you can’t do without an Ed Wood movie any more than you can do without a Godzilla movie. Let’s go out with the gold standard itself.

And one last short, because I love the shorts: Coronet’s Library Organization.

What do you think, sirs and ma’ams?

6 Likes

Loving what you did here - you made it your own and it’s got some GREAT suggestions!

1 Like

I really recommend checking out A Touch of Magic – it really is a Design for Dreaming sequel, same female lead, same kind of hallucinogenic scene changes… and it’s even weirder.

4 Likes

Omg! Did you actually watch that on TV?

1 Like

Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park? To my shame, yes. Things were different in our youths. :blush:

Or do you mean The Magician? I used to watch that too, and recently picked up the whole run on DVD. It’s third-rate “wannabe Quinn Martin” stuff.

2 Likes

Kudos for Terror In The Beach. I think I caught it when it premiered as a Movie Of The Week. I want to say it had the “mature audience” disclaimer. Hearing that warning, issued with such gravitas, was catnip to a kid (you just had to hope the parents wouldn’t shut it down).

I seem to recall parts of it being kind of creepy - there was some use of mannequins that spooked six-year old me. And it has Lori Partridge (Susan Dey) and McCloud! (Dennis Weaver).

2 Likes

I think I remember The Magician – starred Bill Bixby, didn’t it? I don’t want to look it up, I want to see if my memory still works. :smiley:

4 Likes

It did. I dug The Magician as a kid, but I haven’t seen it since it first aired.

3 Likes

Yay! I’m not as senile as I thought I was! XD

I probably haven’t seen that show since it first aired. I don’t remember being wowed by it, but it was okay. I mainly remember Bixby from The Courtship of Eddie’s Father and (of course) The Incredible Hulk.

3 Likes

Strictly speaking, it was filmed downwind from a nuclear test site.

For my dream season, I would go for a theme season of movies from any series previously used on MST3K. More Ator. More Master Ninja. More Fu Manchu (I’m given to understand that the first couple of installments are halfway watchable, and Castle was the last one that came after the series had worn out its welcome). More Rocky Jones. More Samson/El Santo. More Gemini Man. And so on.

2 Likes

I’ll admit it… I liked the magician. I found it when I was a kid in the old Sci-fi Channel. They used to show one season wonders and that was on for a bit. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, that scene in particular stuck with me. There appears to be a woman drowning in the ocean accompanied by distant cries of help, and when Weaver swims out to rescue her, she’s the mannequin the psychotic teens have been carrying around. The sequence is filmed in that distorted fish-eye lens style so popular around that period. I’d like to see this movie get a re-release on DVD, with or without riffing.

1 Like

And from My Favorite Martian.

Ray Walston was a great character actor.

4 Likes

My dream season would mostly be Toho movies (I wouldn’t even need to touch Godzilla to make it). However, what about a mini-season of bad shark movies? Seven cheesy shark movies so MST3K fans can celebrate Shark Week:

1: Jurassic Shark (Dudez Productions)
2: Hammerhead: Shark Frenzy (Syfy) (Note: Also known as Sharkman)
3: Sand Sharks (Little Dragon Productions)
4: Ghost Shark (Active Entertainment)
5: Mako: The Jaws of Death (Mako Associates, Universal Majestic Inc.)
6: Mega Shark Versus Giant Octopus (The Asylum) (Note: Same company that did Atlantic Rim and first in a four-movie series)
7: Jaws: The Revenge (Universal Pictures)

1 Like