Creativity challenge for the most creative people I know

I need a creative approach to an interesting problem, and the people in this forum are typically the most creative people I know. I have an insane challenge for a work event and need some ideas. It’s a small company (about 80 employees) and the owners wend insane this year and decided to have a Rococo fashion theme for the holiday party. Yes… as in late 1700s France frilly lace and powdered wigs Rococo. I and my wife WILL NOT dress as fruffy french people for this party. So, I’m looking for a way to incorporate something Rococo fashion into our attire. We want to look strange and unusual (as Lydia from Beetlejuice would say “because we ourselves are strange and unusual”), but not like stupid French Aristocrats. Any ideas?

3 Likes

So this is the look for the fellas

Feels like a frilly neckerchief over a plain black t shirt / jumper would be my minimalist go to. Or you could always dress as a Jacobin and stick a fake guillotine in the car park, if you really wanted to turn heads.

Got to give your boss props for having the audacity to declare by fiat that everyone has to dress in the style of a notoriously corrupt royal court for a party with them at the centre. Hell of a management style. Will they let you eat cake?

4 Likes

But why don’t you want to look like a French aristocrat? It’s good to be da king.

5 Likes

I would be sorely tempted to arrive dressed as the Red Death.

5 Likes

Only the aristocracy dressed like that, so give the party some societal balance by turning up as a couple of period-dress peasants.

8 Likes

Baldrick_thumbnail

10 Likes

cocoapuffs

Go as the cereal mascot Sonny while carrying around a box of Cocoa Puffs.

If anyone asks, just yell “I’M CUCKOO FOR ROCOCO PUFFS”

7 Likes

So does it have to be the French part or just from the period? Any number of American ambassadors were in France in the 1780s. Go as good old Ben Franklin or Thomas Jefferson.

2 Likes

Wear an Enya CD around your neck and if anyone asks just say “wasn’t the theme Orinoco?”.

8 Likes

If the company didn’t give you money for your fancy costumes then you can accomplish your frills with a paper towel tucked into your collar.

5 Likes

I think I’d just call in sick and spend the day looking for another job. o_0

I mean, this sounds almost as questionable as the foreclosure mill which got written up on Buzzfeed or someplace for their holiday party where everyone dressed up as a homeless person.

1 Like

Which holiday?

1 Like

So, to be clear, there is no requirement to go dressed in the theme. It’s just a contest going along with the holiday party. No one would be upset if I just show up in regular attire. I’m just looking for a way to participate in an unorthodox way that also doesn’t result in my spending a ton of money of an outfit I would only ever wear once.

4 Likes

Generic December holiday party so no one can complain about inclusivity. That being said, it’s pretty much Christmas.

2 Likes

Well, it would sort of science fiction-y to both show up in Rococo makeup and wigs, and maybe even the stockings and shoes, but otherwise ordinary clothes.

4 Likes

There’s always the handy dandy cotton ball wig.

7 Likes

I say use a company printer to print a picture of rococo and tape it to your shirt with company tape. Better if it’s a company shirt the company gave you for free.

3 Likes

Ro-coco?

4 Likes

Star of Rococo’s Modern Life ?

3 Likes

would be interesting if I could incorporate Rococo and SciFi in some way.

2 Likes