Curling

Three months til the Winter Olympics and Curling is back on cable. Curling. Is it torture? Is it fascinating? Where do you sit? What does it offer?

2 Likes

I’m waiting for EXTREME Curling!!! with center-crowned sheets, mined houses, and flying brooms.

2 Likes

I’ve gone Curling as part of High School PE Class. It was actually pretty fun.

I’m not a fan, and not likely to tune in for it, but if watching other sports and it switches over to curling during the Olympics or a major Brier, I’m in no rush to switch away.

1 Like

I have to say this is my favorite part of the Winter Olympics. It’s such an odd sport. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My favorite part of the sport.

4 Likes

Although I don’t understand a lot of the strategies, I enjoy curling and watch quite a bit of it during the Olympics.

3 Likes

Argh why is curling on so much?!? Once in a while I’ll flip through the guide and I’ll see “Olympic trials” so I’ll go check it out and it’s ALWAYS CURLING. It’s never anything good like luge or ski jumping or snowboard. No, it’s curling, every time. Last time I got suckered into checking the listing it was a FOUR HOUR BLOCK OF CURLING WHY GOD WHY

If it’s not clear, I’m not a big fan

3 Likes

But your hair always looks so fashionable.

2 Likes

Me too! I’ve closetly became glued to the television more and more every Winter Olympics. The hunks of metal, the scrubbing of the ice, the Chess-like positioning of the pieces, the strategy of where to place them, the precision to execute. There’s nothing like it. Incredulity melts into admiration the more you absorb. If only a black and white short of how to play it existed to riff…

3 Likes

I watch curling just to encourage networks to show sports other than endless ski runs and ice skating.
Biathlon, luge, ski jumping, I don’t need to see endless downhill runs.

(I have the same complaints with the Summer Games. I enjoy the gymnastics, but how about some water polo, or skulling, or dressage, just to liven things up a bit)

2 Likes

I see that you are pining for the days of the Triple Cast.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s just not the same these days, what with NBC scattering Olympic broadcasts across over a half-dozen channels or more. And that’s just cable television…

1 Like

Honestly, I haven’t seen much of the last few Olympic Games since all of it is on cable except for some highlights scattered amongst the adverts and sob stories.

I find it hilariously sad, that if you have Comcast cable (obviously this is in the States) you can access all of the NBC coverage online. But if you are merely an internet subscriber, you’re locked out. (psst, hey Comcast, it’s your cable subscribers keeping your company afloat these days).

Anyway …

Yes I enjoy watching curling and other of the more forgotten sports just because they are something different and they are interesting!

1 Like

@wyswysia Has Curling coverage already started? By all means, talk Curling all you want here.

1 Like

I’ve got a mixed doubles replay on right now. Mixed doubles round robin underway. Not sure when the men’s and women’s games start.

And I’ll add that I’m disappointed that the Norway mixed doubles team isn’t rocking the awesome pants like Team Norway did in the past

1 Like

@wyswysia If you figure it out, feel free to post scheduling. It is mesmerizing to watch it. A sport like no other.

1 Like

Here’s the full curling schedule. It looks like the men’s round robin starts 2/9 and the women’s on 2/10.

If you have a curling rink nearby, it’s a fun sport to play! It’s extremely satisfying to throw a rock and clear some stones out of the house with a mighty thwack!

2 Likes

Just remember to keep your Eye on the Hog and get your hand off the stone.

1 Like

@RRRob There. I put it back. I added Winter Olympics to the tags and thought I accidentally hit that and deleted it. I forgot that might have been you. It has returned.