Dating and Riffing

Ok, I checked to see if this one was made or not, but I guess it hasn’t (although I’m sure someone will tell me I’m wrong).

So, have you ever gone on a date/met a romantic partner/fell in love with someone because of MST3K/Rifftrax event or because they were a fan?

Before we started going out, my partner and I went to see the Rifftrax Live event for Space Mutiny (Which happened on my birthday no less), it was her first real introduction to riffing. At some point, her and I are gonna watch some MST3K when we have time to really sit down.

13 Likes

My wife and I, when dating would go to the movies with a group of friends and take turns with riffs in empty theaters.

5 Likes

I know lots of people have. Many of them because of the MSTie singles group on FB. Members of that group also do watch along and games on twitch and stuff

2 Likes

You know - I’m on that group and a MSTie but never actually post there despite my tragically single status!

So we do we get a patreon for MSTies dating site? :grinning:

5 Likes

I at least had the sense enough one time to recognize this red flag. When I inquired about if the potential love interest heard of/liked MST3K he didn’t know what I was talking about. I was like ‘ok, ok, it’s ok, I’ll just introduce him to it and he’ll be absolutely amazed and wonder where this has been all his life’. But then he added that he didn’t think the Simpson’s were funny. “You mean the Simpson’s after season 8?” “No, I never liked it” We’re done here…

19 Likes

Big no. I once went on a date with a woman who told me she had no sense of humor and didn’t enjoy funny things. At first, I thought surely this is some sort of meta-level joke - but nope it wasn’t.

Didn’t exactly go up from there…

6 Likes

Good call

3 Likes

Not yet, but hope springs eternal! :smiley:

3 Likes

I’ve known people like that but they don’t usually realize it.

1 Like

I live in hope, but most of the time when I show people an MST3K episode they either find it annoying or don’t get it . . .which is peculiar, as they don’t mind riffing on a bad movie with me.

But I always try, all the same.

3 Likes

I’m sure she wanted someone with a sense of humor though!

2 Likes

Ep. 503, if you haven’t seen it. The letter at the end is this very story. It’s particularly cool because it seems much of the episode is built around the letter.

4 Likes

My wife and I hadn’t been to a live event together until a few years into our relationship (Rifftrax Live for Star Ship Troopers), but damn if I didn’t know I should keep her when she would verbally snark at B-movie grade scifi/horror/anime with me. We’ve had to pause movies because we’ve cracked each other up so hard because of some riff between the two of us.

8 Likes

“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.”

And by good fortune I mean, sense of humor.
And by wife I mean, tolerating my uncontrollable urge to Riff.

11 Likes

Facebook Groups

8 Likes

For my first real date I made the guy watch MST3K: The movie. He didn’t get it. There was not a second date

8 Likes

Swipe Riff right!

4 Likes

If someone couldn’t at least “get” why MST3K is great and a part of my life, that would be a deal breaker, but I’ve not met someone because of MST3K. Which is maybe a mixed blessing? My significant other gets it, and has enjoyed some episodes with me on occasion, but she’s not bonkers over it like I am.

And I guess that’s okay. It makes the time spent here with my extended family of MSTies all the more special.

11 Likes

Maybe the right MSTie hasn’t come into your life…

1 Like

If ONLY he’d spent more time in the tube.