Destroy and rebuild Kelsey's Crow

I suggest Essay Contest Winner.

10 Likes

Yes, that should probably be Madsˣ since it’s exponentially worse for the host the more mads there are.

4 Likes

HOW is this thread still going? STOP WHINING ABOUT VOICES! You’ll get used to it!

2 Likes

5 Likes

If you add a post to a thread, even one that asks why the thread is still going, it keeps going and bumps the thread to the top of everyone’s “Latest” list, where it is more noticeable. If you additionally add something to your post that others may disagree with, like telling them that they will get used to something they have expressed strong negative feelings about, it tends to encourage a response. In other words, the only way to end it is to stop posting. In the meantime, the forum has mute/ignore features that may be useful to you.

Honestly, I don’t like this thread, but it isn’t my place as a moderator to immediately shut it down just because of how I feel. Moderators are here to facilitate conversation. It takes some work from the community as well to make that possible. If things stay civil, the thread likely will stay longer, even if it seems to go in circles.

13 Likes

It is not sexism. If a female voiced Kermit the frog one day, the situation would be very similar. The character has never had a female voice and probably shouldn’t.

Miss Piggy seems to have always had a male voice imitating a female, much like Gypsy. That is a whole weird realm. People don’t object when a female voices GPC today.

The Simpsons Reaction GIF

1 Like

When Rebecca took over voicing GPC, a lot of people DID complain.

So yeah, sexism.

11 Likes

So I would say that Sexism has influenced a non-zero number of people’s opinions, but it’s reductive to say that’s the one and only reason people are complaining. I’ve been in the sci-fi nerd clique long enough to know that fans just hate change.

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure that when certain people started bawwwwing about how ~woke~ the show got, that’s exactly the kind of thing they were unhappy about.

Joel went into detail about why he made the change, but too many lazy thinkers just wanted to whine without addressing his points.

And really, there’s no iron-clad reason to have most prominent female characters voiced by men. It’s just something that’s always been done because people find it inherently funny. Whereas if a woman voices an adult male character, people tend to treat it more as a move towards seriousness or even gravitas. Because of male characters reading as having higher stature and authority, even in a comedic setting. It’s similar as to how men in women’s clothes are read as automatically funny. Women in men’s clothes generally aren’t.

10 Likes

Nobody complained about Bart Simpson or Ash Ketchum, or Bobby Hill, or Dexter (Of Dexter’s Laboratory), or Tommy Pickles. I think it says something about how everyone’s looking for agendas these days. Or maybe it’s just that they’re all kids and that’s OK to people?

2 Likes

It’s mostly the latter. Look, not everyone has agendas. It’s just that some people have knee-jerk reactions that wipe out a level playing field when it comes to casting women in roles traditionally played by men. And folks don’t question why they feel this way, they just have a sense that it’s somehow wrong. They try to justify it and it just never really makes any sense to me when they explain.

Like there was pushback when a woman played GPC for the first time…and GPC has always been called a girl.

The episodes that happened before happened. They cannot and will not be changed. But the show going forward does not exist in amber. It grows and adapts for the times in which it is produced. That’s the only way to ensure that it continues to be a show that grows, honoring what came before, but also making room for new things. This season is especially about that, a celebration of the history of the show from the past, present, and future.

11 Likes

In that case, there’s an actual reason. Look at some of the stilted, awkward takes you get in South Park for Ike and his classmates or, going way back, the original Peanuts specials. It’s extremely rare you can find children capable of voice acting, and even if you can their voices are going to change rapidly as they grow.

2 Likes

Maybe so, but just because women are adept at voicing children doesn’t mean they should be limited only to voicing children. And who knows? There might be talented adult male actors out there who are overlooked to do boys’ voices just because women getting those gigs is “how it’s always been done.” Just as not every guy who goes in for sports has the same build (which is why some play football and some take ballet) not every guy in a pool of actors is going to have a low-pitched voice, either.

4 Likes

Thank goodness for that! After all, how could you tell who was who in a movie if they were all the same?

6 Likes

I don’t know about the others but I distinctly remember that it was a HUGE news story when it was revealed a woman voiced Bart. It may not have been sexism, but it certainly said something about society how “weird” and “newsworthy” it was to people.

4 Likes

Just heard my first Kelsey Crow. WOW…that really IS jarring and sounds like an almost exact copy of Timmy Turner. doesn’t fit in with the previous crows at all. should have been a whole new robot.

this wouldn’t have been a problem if the previous crows sounded un trace like. but this is a complete 180.

I don’t see myself getting used to this voice for THIS character. another character it would be fine.

1 Like

Oh good, we’re back to hating on Kelsey.

4 Likes

I don’t even know who Timmy Turner is. Should I be concerned about that? :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

:notes: This is the thread that never ends… :notes:

9 Likes