Did the MST3k Lego set ever get to happen?

I remember there was a big push to get a S.O.L. Lego set made through that Lego Ideas thing. Did anything ever come of that or am I answering my own question by asking it?

3 Likes

Naw, it made it to the final review, but LEGO shut it down.

1 Like

It was a sad, sad day…

1 Like

I guess it’s because LEGO hates anything that’s not popular enough. Or maybe it’s the fact that they don’t like the concept of riffing.

1 Like

They’ve also turned down a really awesome Legend of Zelda set, so it’s not popularity. I have no idea how that gets shot down, but they go ahead and greenlight the Friends set.

1 Like

Nothing came of it, but perhaps it’s time (again) to campaign for one to be made? :thinking:

2 Likes

I am pretty sure that the issue in some cases is licensing, but that probably wasn’t the reason here. A major concern is commercial appeal. A lot more people watched Friends than ever watched MST3K, in quite a few countries. MST is very much a niche market.

Supposedly the majority of the Lego product strategy is based on what the average 12-year-old male German wants. Aging Gen-Xers in their second childhood are definitely part of their constituency (hence the extremely expensive Ewok village set), but even the sets catering to them need to have some broad appeal (or favorable licensing agreement).

1 Like

I’m not sure I like the implication that I ever left my first childhood!

3 Likes

Most stuff never gets past final review.

2 Likes