Did they ever like the movies?

Do you remember times when they seemed to like the movie, or at least the scene? I can mostly remember riffs from Servo that suggest this:

There’s a scene in Overdrawn at the Memory Bank where Fingal and Apollonia are having a juicy argument when Tom blurts out, “Is this still the officially sanctioned ‘boring part’?”.

When the zombie raises from his coffin and roars at the start of Zombie Nightmare he says, “Cool!” and it really was.

And he might not be actually admiring the scene but in The Legend of Boggy Creek 2 there’s a bit where the lights go out, the students starts shouting in panic and the prof tells them to shut up. I agree with Tom, I bet his class is fun!

Whaddya think, sirs?

5 Likes

They liked the Gamera movies.

4 Likes

There’s affection, reluctant at times maybe, apparent in many episodes of the show.

Less so in much of RT. Often they have the air of being on a forced march, and I feel like I am, too.

4 Likes

Certainly, in the Revival episodes, Jonah is quick to give credit where credit is due when it comes to visual effects or cinematography.

6 Likes

Even early in the series, they would sometimes point out things they liked. For example, at the end of First Spaceship on Venus, Joel has some complimentary things to say about the multinational and multi-racial cast.

Also, in interviews, they will sometimes mention movies that they kinda enjoyed. I think there’s a general consensus that The Magic Sword was one of the more pleasant movies of seasons 1–10.

3 Likes

Did Real-Life Joel mention in an interview that he liked First Spaceship ?

Genuinely curious, because on the show proper, I think that only Crow did.

1 Like

I think there was more of it in the early seasons, but I think the lightheartedness of the riffs seems to indicate a greater enjoyment. Like in Danger! Death Ray, Crow gets really giggly. They really seem to be enjoying themselves all through.

I know what you mean about RT. I don’t see it in all of the riffs, but when I watched Sharknado 2, it really felt like they were doing something they were being forced to do and I didn’t get that feeling from the first Sharknado. I regretted buying Sharknado 2.

2 Likes

Toblerone!

1 Like

If you ever have a chance to see a RiffTrax copy of an MST3K title, they put short intros on each one—and yes, they quite often remark on how much they enjoyed certain titles and what they enjoyed about them.

4 Likes

In a theater segment, I think Tom Servo said that The Magic Sword was pretty good* and Joel agreed.

*for a Bert I. Gordon movie

5 Likes

My second-favorite Joel episode. Far and away the most watchable Gordon epic I’ve encountered to date. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Oh, nice!

The Magic Sword would have to be Gordon’s best work, but I also gotta show love and give credit where credit’s due for Tormented.

3 Likes

[looking for that rumored Kickstarter where Jordan Peele is slated to do the remake]

1 Like

When it comes to the SOL crew liking a scene, one of my all-time favorite MST3K moments comes from Girls Town, where they watch The Platters sing, causing Servo to react genuinely and positively: “Hey, this is kind of good! It’s The Platters. I love them!”

10 Likes

I think I recall reading that Mike and the gang thought Time Chasers was actually a neat concept and interesting, just lacking budget and a little execution.

3 Likes

One of my fav episodes! And it has one of my favorite riffs in this scene :
[Group singing]“Sheeeee kiiiilllllled hiiiiiim”

3 Likes

Their first trip to the future had some solid predictions–it wasn’t overly futuristic looking, everyone had cell phones, the physical fitness trend continued, and I really appreciate the building made of 100% recycled materials though I have not yet seen one.

1 Like

I remember Joel and the Bots genuinely liking Little Richard’s number in Catalina Caper.

5 Likes

Crow calls him “the only genuine talent in this film,” though that’s not exactly right. Mary Wells of “My Guy” fame sings “Never Steal Anything Wet.” The mix is so poor that she sounds like she’s underwater singing it. But that’s not her fault. The “Book Of Love” singer Carol Connors had a modest hit with a group called The Teddy Bears. She also co-wrote the theme for Rocky. (Which makes her an MST3K alumni who was once nominated for an Oscar!)

2 Likes