Did you keep circulating the tapes?

I did! I had quite a few episodes taped, and in the Early Days of the Internet, I re-taped and traded episodes with some people. I also lent tapes to friends that I never got back.
I won a vhs from somebody online for correctly guessing the episode from a riff they posted; it was from the Mr B. Natural short.

Fun times :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah it was! :slight_smile: Iā€™m from Vancouver and I watched it every Saturday night/Sunday morning(?) at midnight. Canā€™t remember what channel.

1 Like

No way! Iā€™m also from Vancouver! I had no idea!

1 Like

I was so amazed when a Sampo was brought up in that episode! I had had a friend from Sweden who explained it to me long before.

3 Likes

Heh, how about that, @Jajahamu? :smiley: Itā€™s funny how things work out like that, no? Really is a small world, in a manner of speakingā€¦

2 Likes

I didnā€™t get into the show until the movie in 1996, so I missed out. But I still love the VHS format and the idea of sharing the show that way. So creative.

3 Likes

I let folks borrow a lot of VHS tapes, but I never could bear to do that with my copy of MST3K: The Movie.

It was just too precious to do so. I must have spent an entire summer watching that every day.

4 Likes

I mentioned it in another post here, but my ex got me the best christmas present ever when we moved to Chicagoā€” they found someone (head of a Chicago fan group?) who was moving and getting rid of possessions. And Christmas Eve I opened a box with like a hundred VHS tapes, most of which had four full episodes per tape, including Poopie and KTMA episodes and justā€¦ everything. This would have been 1999 or 2000, so most of these movies were impossible to find. We gorged ourselves right away, and Iā€™ve still got most of them.
Greatest gift ever.

6 Likes

Iā€™m so jealous! That would be a peak present for me, too

1 Like

WHOA!

That really is a next-level gift, isnā€™t it? Very cool stuff!

Sure did! I was introduced to MST3K by one of my roommates at my summer job back in 1992. He had a bunch of tapes that he brought with him. One day, he made a joke about MST3K and realized I hadnā€™t heard of it. He was like, ā€œSit down, child. Itā€™s time for school.ā€ I donā€™t remember how many episodes I saw that summer, but it was enough that, by the end of the summer, I went back to college with my own second-generation tapes to share with friends. I also returned with a tape of ā€œPastor Gas.ā€ Before YouTube, there was a certain social currency to being ā€œthat guy who had tapes of everything.ā€ lol. Good times.

4 Likes

MST3K: just the thing to keep your head full of zombie.

Coolest. Grandmother. Ever.

6 Likes