Different bots for different hosts

To be fair, and I personally am fine with Rebecca and Yvonne’s takes on Gypsy/GPC, the Netflix era Gypsy was more than just a voice change. It was a totally different personality. It was a completely new take on that bot. Like I said, I’m fine with it. I can just see that being more justified than this complaint where Crow and Tom have essentially the same personality, just different voices.

2 Likes

In California I’d occasionally see “Mexi-Coke” on menus which was Coca-Cola with real sugar in glass bottles from Mexico. I always got it when I saw it. Haven’t seen it in the northeast yet but I’ve been hesitant to try the Mexican food here because I’m probably spoiled now.

Oh, yeah, the topic. They are different bots. Their names are model names, not personal names, and I feel like this is the fifth time I’ve made this suggestion because this topic just keeps coming up over and over again.

5 Likes

Well no, a few people did suggest that Jonah should have new bots back during the first Kickstarter and when Season 11 came out, and every so often during the past five years on social media, that I’ve seen. Just like now, it wasn’t a popular suggestion, but it’s not new and unique to Emily’s tenure.

4 Likes

In your original post you wanted to give Emily an all-girl team.

You can see why so many people went straight to “great, another Crow shouldn’t be voiced by a girl thread.”

5 Likes

Maybe a different way of thinking about it is Emily’s on the “Simulator of Love” so it would make sense Crow’s voice is different? Maybe? It could just be me… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m of several different minds about it…

First, I like how the show has gotten bolder about sort of expanding its world with new characters, and I’m glad we’re continuing to see Growler and M. Waverly. I even think it’s interesting that we’re seeing them down on the moon base with the Mads, like, the Mads have never had bots before, that’s a cool development. If one day they introduced a new host with all new bots, I like to think that I could roll with it.

On the other hand, I also think that Tom Servo and Crow are iconic to the MST3K world, and I completely get the decision to say “there’s two of them now” rather than going for new bots in the theater seats. The idea of having multiple rotating hosts is a new idea for the series, and anyway the idea was to give the touring cast a home within the show’s universe, so maybe this just wasn’t the time to do something that revolutionary.

But time will tell! Hopefully the series continues, maybe someday there’ll be new hosts and new bots.

3 Likes

My thoughts: The silhouette of a human host with two distinct robot shapes on either side is iconic. You don’t mess with that. It’s like putting a bowler hat on Indiana Jones and saying “This is his look now.”

9 Likes

What are you talking about, Willis? :joy:

3 Likes

We’ve been used to multiple Toms and Crows for YEARS. As long as they’re properly tagged before they return to the wild, it’s fine

8 Likes

We once had an entire choir of Servos. More than once, actually.

7 Likes

This thread’s title annoys me. It should either be ‘different bots for different tots’ or ‘different ghosts for different hosts.’

7 Likes

How about “diff’rent”?

4 Likes

Whatchu talkin’ bout, wyswysia?

5 Likes

Gary Coleman Facepalm GIF by NBC

4 Likes

In a similar vein, I have long held that the name of the store should be either:

Ress Dress for Less

OR

Ross Dross for Loss

6 Likes

And so on and so on and Scooby Dooby Dooby.

4 Likes

Am I the only person who can’t get the 1970s Peter Paul candies jingle out of her head since this thread started?

[sigh] I’m gonna’ go drink my morning pineal juice now. :confused:

5 Likes

I long ago lost track of how many sketches we actually had where everyone was female anyway.

“I Got Shot Into Space With An All-Girl Crew!” (And then Bing Crosby and Bob Hope showed up.)

2 Likes

Okay, advocatus diaboli, I can sort of see what the OP was getting at with “it’s confusing having the same characters with different voices within the same season”. However, as others have pointed out here and elsewhere, they aren’t really the same characters. Crow and Servo are better thought of as “makes and models” rather than fixed individuals at this point - they are built from the same blueprint and have the same basic features from one to the next, but individually they are highly customised.

So instead of thinking of them monolithically as The Crow and The Servo, it’s much easier to think of Joel’s Crow & Servo, Mike’s Crow & Servo, Jonah’s Crow & Servo, Emily’s Crow & Servo, etc. This applies to the other bots as well, though GPC is actually more heavily customised now and so far there is just one iteration of M. Waverly and Growler. Though come to think of it, was M. Waverly voiced by the same person in the Synthia’s Selects segment as he was in N-era MST3K?

So the short answer is that we don’t need different bots, we just need to shift our frame for each host.

9 Likes

It brings to mind the phrase:

“It’s just a show, I should really just ___”

What was that last word?!?

It’s on the tip of my tongue…

8 Likes