Discuss the movies for Season 13 (plus viewing poll)

Reading the clues, The Bubble (1966) is near certain to be Joel’s New Manos. I’ve expressed why in other threads. In short during the latest Virtual Set Visit, the New Manos is reported to be airing near the finish of Season 13 and Matt McGinnis and Ivan said emphatically it is not Episode 1304 that we now know to be Munchie (1992). Manos and Bubble are the same age, revolve around a man and woman trapped in a Twilight Zone episode, and resemble one another in mood and strangeness. On top of that, Joel as the new showrunner chooses to place the worst movie last in a season chased by the Christmas Special. First Carnival Magic (1983) in Season 11 and The Bubble in Season 13. Season 12 related to Netflix’s designs is outside that pattern.

4 Likes

I think it’s this season’s Mac & Me. It’s one of the more high profile bad movies that a lot of the show’s target audience watched as kids. I doubt I ever watched the entire thing, but I certainly remember seeing it… and it being horrible.

8 Likes

Everyone should have seen ‘Sumuru’. It’s already an episode!

2 Likes

Not everybody watches the KTMAs. I’m starting to view them in the last week or so.

2 Likes

I’ve probably seen the Gamera movie, but I couldn’t recall it specifically so I didn’t vote for it.

I genuinely love Dr Modrid, not the least of because Jeffrey Combs is having fun no matter what he’s doing.

I always wanted to rent Robot Wars (and/or Robot Jox) back in the day, but never did because I was afraid they’d to out to be just be plain dull. This is the perfect way to see it.

5 Likes

Hence the “should”. :wink:

1 Like

Read you loud and clear. The Last Chase (1981) is solid and worked rather well.

Wow! Radio legend Arch Oboler (the man who created the original terrifying “Chicken Heart”) was the writer/director of this movie!

And it stars Michael Cole. Are we in for a lot of “Pete, Linc, Julie . . .” jokes?

The line up of movies looks really strong for this season.

5 Likes

I still have my paper 3D glasses when my local TV station showed The Mask in the early 80s. They have a skull and vines on them. I don’t remember anything about the movie except that it went 3D when you heard, “put on the mask… put on the mask…”

4 Likes

Not seen any of these films, so it will be exciting to see entirely new movies! Cool to hear that Jeffrey Combs will be in one of them!

3 Likes

My quick Jeffrey Combs story: Back when I lived in L.A. and had a small VO/Sound design studio, Jeffrey Combs came in to do some lines for a project I was working on. While he was there, one of the things he said while having some shop talk that I’ll never forget was, “I’ll do a movie for $1000, but not if the script is that sh*tty.”

13 Likes

So, two things. One: what is that a sequel to? Two: oh, that gives me another reason to believe Munchie will be an experience.

4 Likes

It’s the creatively-titled sequel to Munchies.

1 Like

I have a pair of 3D clip-ons for my glasses. They do make the glasses gradually slip down the nose a little, with the extra weight, but it’s a payoff I can live with. They also flip up, in case the host segments for The Mask are in 2D.

3 Likes

“Munchies: Directed by Tina Hirsch. With Harvey Korman, Charlie Stratton, Nadine Van der Velde, Alix Elias. Simon Watterman, a space archaeologist, discovers the “Munchies” in a cave in Peru.”

If you have to go all the way to a cave in Peru to discover the “munchies”…yeah, you’re doing it wrong. Personally, I’ve never had to leave the couch.

7 Likes

I had to look up a bunch of these, because I’ve never heard of them before. The only two I know I’ve seen for sure are Gamera and Robot Wars. All of them are available to watch online, Except for a dubbed version of Santos, which I couldn’t find.

1 Like

Yes, I own The Bubble in 3D. (Unavailable now). I also have The Mask. My collection is optical 3D Blu Rays. Restored Robot Monster coming out next spring!

5 Likes

Someone sharp-eyed on Twitter informs us of this!

15 Likes

The director of The Batwoman also directed Santa Claus. I think we’re in for a treat.

11 Likes

Very VERY loose. I saw the Rifftrax riff of it and it’s awful. Mostly, it carries the name. Plotwise? Eh.

2 Likes