Do You Like Your Mads Mad? Or MEAN Mad? Or...?

Since we already have this thread:

Let’s talk about what kind of relationship the new Mads have with their victims. Share your feelings. (Don’t worry. This is all in the strictest confidence.)

Someone on another thread (my apologies for not remembering the details) said they enjoy when the captors get caught up in whatever ridiculousness their captives are dealing with. Such as the weird bit from Beast Of Hollow Mountain:

But I’ve heard criticisms elsewhere that stuff like this makes the current Mads look weak and colorless compared to the old. I can’t really agree, but I’m curious about how YOU feel.

10 Likes

The “old” mads also got caught up sometimes.

8 Likes

Yeah, I think some people have forgotten that.

Frank, being the henchman, was particularly susceptible. At least twice, he almost got tricked into freeing Joel & Friends behind Dr. F’s back.

8 Likes

I personally love seeing Kinga and Max getting caught up in the SOL’s antics! They’re almost as new at this as Jonah is, so it makes sense that they aren’t as professional as the previous Mads (or as “professional” as they could be considered, anyway).

12 Likes

Forrester and Frank got caught up in the SOL’s antics a lot, especially Frank. I have no problem with the new Mads. I don’t know how someone could think the old Mads were tougher.

11 Likes

Which was really fun with stuff like the Mystos host segment in Teen-Age Crime Wave!

6 Likes

Also, this.

I watched the classic era practically religiously, and with those episodes firmly in mind, I don’t really agree with criticisms about the current Mads looking weak and colorless.

8 Likes

I think the Mads are the Mads. The personalities differ between the characters (as they should!), but the dynamics are always there. Am I not looking at this hard enough? Have I “really just relaxed” too much?

11 Likes

I too lie awake at night wondering about that. :thinking:

8 Likes

Heck, even Dr. F called them during the experiment to apologize for Manos and give them encouragement.

Pearl, who was arguably the most antagonistic of the three “lead” villains, would have sincere, earnest conversations with Mike.

8 Likes

It’s nothing personal, fella, just wanna rule the world is all. Gotta get that scientific data.

8 Likes

“People can be so terribly judgmental about evil.” :coffee:

6 Likes

Bobo and Brain Guy were on pretty good terms with Mike and the Bots as well.

6 Likes

I was very skeptical when they were going to get known actors to play the new Mads but Felicia Day as Kinga is one of the best things about the new show. It’s true she doesn’t seem as evil as her father or grandmother, but that’s part of her character, trying to live up to the family name and all that. She’s erratic and her obsession with the show actually being a show is a good motivator to make her distinctive. It makes even more sense for her to be more hands on with her captives.

I think the biggest difference with these Mads is all the stuff surrounding them, the more developed lore and such. The liquid movies, the skeleton crew, Pearl clones, etc. I know some people thought it was a bit much, but I love that kind of stuff. Moon 13 just looks like an awesome action figure playset. I liked the band and the fake commercial bumpers when they would tell you some factoid or lore about things in-universe.

I think I’m more interested in the characters as characters than I was before. That’s not to say they’re better or I even like them more, it’s just a different dynamic. With the new season coming, I’m excited to see Kinga’s relationship to Jonah and the bots continue and evolve. And that’s definitely new for me. I never used to wonder what the Mads were going to do next between seasons but because of the more fleshed out story and world, I’m invested.

10 Likes

Never liked the Whedon stuff I’ve seen. So I didn’t know of Day’s connection to him when I first heard of her being on board. I’m glad of that. I might have gone in unfairly prejudiced against her if I had known.

4 Likes

Very true. In the episodes they made it clear that her father and grandmother were never around; and I don’t recall Dr. Forrester ever participating in “bring your daughter to work day.”

It’s hard to be evil when no one is around to teach you.

5 Likes

For this kind of show I like my Mads to be just how they are, which is so blinded by science that they fail to see the impracticality of much that they do. They also lack basic common sense and people skills, which is why the subjects so often get the upper hand. The Mads only retain power because of their domineering personalities and ability to find lackeys to follow them. That they have feet of clay (no pun intended) is a major part of their charm and why they work so well in this series.

5 Likes

I’m happy with Kinga overall. I just would love it if Felicia could do more scenery-chewing. Maybe it’s an art that’s too difficult to master without being way too annoying. Trace ended up being great at it, and Mary Jo’s his equal. Makes it like a Forrester trait. If it’s not possible, Felicia does do exasperation well.

4 Likes

How about the clones, Synthia and Mega-Synthia. The senior clone should be plotting to make Max and Kinga her slaves, or at least show her more respect even if she’s merciful to Jonah and Emily (and might even pay them).
Mega, though, seems to be interested in being super-evil and not know what that means. I’d like to see her challenge Synthia for supremacy…and lose big. Emily would still try to be Mega’s friend, even if she knows Mega might use her to challenge Synthia again. If so, Emily wins.

I know, I should really just relax, but since this show came back from the dead THREE TIMES, why not have a mythology? The movies are still what brings us in.

5 Likes

Can’t see the Forrester for the Freese, huh?
I think a family reunion is about the only time when the Voltron we all dream of would appear, the magic soup of Mad-ness, the peanut-buttered chocolate of Deep Hurting, the pretzel/hamdinger Combo of life. The dreams, the self-loathing, the companionship, the de-meaning, and the just not getting what evil is but still putting in a solid 8 hours.
Star Child Clayton (he of something wonderful could happen… oh poopie) and the rest having a heck of a time. I’d pay ten bucks for the bbq and a t-shirt.

2 Likes