Doctor Kabahl and Gizmonic in the future

So I noticed something while watching Modred last night and confirmed it when rewatching a few things today.

Check out the patch on Doctor Kabahl (the strange financier from the future)'s uniform:

Does that say Gizmonic Arts??

Let the speculation begin as to what that could mean.

6 Likes

15 Likes

GA Sports: It’s in the name

8 Likes

mst3k205waterfoosball1

Not gonna lie, a video game version of water-polo foosball would be FANTASTIC.

11 Likes

I’m guessing it’s a spinoff from the institute…IF it’s true.
I also expect him to force Kinga and Max to riff a reel to show their loyalty…and they’re good at it.

4 Likes

Good catch.

I suppose it’s possible he’s actually from an alternate universe. But they are hoping to expand the Gizmoplex to include more things. I’m not expecting them to copy Rifftrax: The Game, but I think they did talk about perhaps adding a video arcade in the lobby?

Meanwhile:

Kabahl’s helmet reminds me of Servo’s dome. (But also of the disembodied head floating in a black void trope from 50s sci-fi, which is probably more what they had in mind?)

As Kinga pointed out, the villain in this week’s episode is Kabal. But we’re also doing The Shape Of Things To Come later this season, which has a protagonist named Dr. Caball, and he lives on a Moon base. Coincidence? Or does it all tie together? Only time will tell.

But, speaking of time telling… Part of me has been wondering if he’s actually from the future at all. He’s pitching ideas, but never gives out future knowledge. He just confidently claims foreknowledge knowledge of the recent past (i.e. “I knew you were going to say that”). On the other hand, we did just learn that they do apparently already have a functioning time portal.

4 Likes

Gotta love responding to a spoiler with a spoiler, but anyway…

But we also saw a shot of Joel from next week’s episode. He’s not young Joel, so the time portal is probably just a cardboard box with some blinking LEDs attached.

7 Likes

Yes, that had occurred to me. I’m wondering how they’ll explain that. Still, we do see the ship disappear into and come back out of the portal. With what appears to be the original SOL in tow, despite that having crash landed at the end of Diabolik. So it clearly does something. Alternate universe, perhaps?

5 Likes

I realize I’m falling into a trap here. Fortunately the moment has been prepared for.

10 Likes

Possibly. If so, that’s cool. But I have a feeling we’ll at least get some lampshade comment.

2 Likes

“Well, time travel isn’t what it will be!”

4 Likes

Or perhaps Doctor Kabahl, whose only contributions have been to fulfill promises made to the Kickstater campaign, in fact just represents us, the backers, a cabal of MSTies who helped make the Gizmoplex possible.

6 Likes

More like 30s sci-fi…

7 Likes

Oh. Nicely done! And a familiar title, too…

2 Likes

By the way, there’s no explanation for that space helmet in the movie. He was flying a prop plane. He didn’t come from space. The movie even makes it clear that space exploration hasn’t happened yet (because it happens for the first time at the end of the movie).

2 Likes

7 Likes

Are you saying that Dr. Cabal is the friends we made along the way?

1 Like

He refers to it briefly, saying “they laughed at me for sticking to my gas mask”. Unfortunately that just raises more questions. I guess if it looked more like a gas mask it would more likely have been confiscated.

4 Likes

It would be very MST3K if Dr. Cabal thought he was visiting Gizmonic Arts to dole out advice but got the wrong company.

3 Likes

And then there’re things like short selling and “pump and dump.”

1 Like