Does anyone else remember Caption This on the Science Fiction Channel?

Does anyone remember back in the early days of the Science Fiction channel when they had where you could post caps of screen grabs? Nodrog_CRC remembers…

6 Likes

I remember that, sure. I’m hoping for a similar feature in the Gizmoplex. I wonder… Where could I find a limitless stream of bizarre, “on topic” images to use for such a thing? The right Google images search might do the trick…

3 Likes

Vagulely, and yes, it’d be fun to see that revived! (Although somehow I feel like most of the stills could use the Universal New Yorker Cartoon Caption, “Christ, what an asshole.”)

3 Likes

Totally, I loved it!

1 Like

Many was the mispent night I spent playing with that page.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

1 Like

Yup! I spent my free time on Caption This. You may have remembered me as Cari. I remember most of my interactions were with buckfifty, weirdone, d_idaho, and others (sorry I can’t remember all your handles!).

1 Like

The old Scifi era website had an MST3K page and you could log in and text-riff in real time everything being aired on the SciFi channel. I used to love it.

2 Likes

Caption This, yep. The hours I used to spend riffing random screengrabs from Ripley’s Believe it or Not and Lost in Space…

2 Likes

I spent many hours there, too! Good times.

Yes! It was an age when people generally, and the Sci-Fi Channel in particular, actually seemed excited about the internet and the promise that it held. It’s easy to forget how heavily they invested in their website and forums. MTV.com also once had a significant web presence.

Nowadays, it feels like it’s all crappy social media and misinformation.

2 Likes

Adult Swim used to have a pretty active and entertaining forum. The Fishcenter Live chat was usually pretty good too.

1 Like