Does anyone else think it's odd that none of the Forresters' have published?

Yes, but what are they going to publish: forcing test subjects into space to watch cheesy movies in order to drive them mad is COMPLETE FAILURE?

Neither Pearl nor Clayton would have admitted that to the wider madaemic community, and Kinga’s on her own weird trip.

6 Likes

Kinga wants to be a TV executive very badly.

3 Likes

She is a TV executive very badly. Could almost be the head of Warner Brothers Discovery

13 Likes

This is a two pronged issue: no actual scientist would publish Forrester work in a peer reviewed journal, what with them being mad and all. It would be akin to someone publishing that vaccines cause climate change. No one reputable would do it, because it literally wouldn’t be good science. And since it’s, presumably, a serious mad experiment, if the the Forresters wanted to put out their findings, they’d want it taken seriously.

The other element is, would they WANT to publish at all? Like, if you’re a mad scientist experimenting with creating a death ray, you’re doing that for yourself. You don’t want just any mook death-rayin’ all over the place. At best, they might be sharing their findings in Popular Mad Science, assuming they wanted to spread the word, but the return on investment for publishing to the normal science world would be low.

Though there’s also a monkeywrench third element: has any Forrester COMPLETED the research? Clay had to deal with losing two research assistant second bananas, one research subject, having to take care of his mother, and then becoming a baby. Pearl only had about 3 years to continue research before once again losing a test subject, and part of that time was spent chasing him down, being trapped in Ancient Rome, etc. And with research long dormant when Kinga picked up (to say nothing of the many setbacks she herself has had), it seems logical that she probably needed to largely start from the beginning even if she was working off Clay and Pearl’s notes.

6 Likes

Madness and peer review are not mutually exclusive things*

*This is not indicative of the peer review journal I was helping publish though. The reviewers were pretty amazing.

3 Likes

Not even for peaceful purposes?

3 Likes

Rest-in-peace ray doesn’t have the same ring.

4 Likes

Or, if you’re trying to monetize* it, unalive ray

*don’t do this

4 Likes

Perhaps people have been looking in the wrong places. Wouldn’t mad scientists publish in MAD Magazine?

4 Likes

They’re still scrimping and saving 'til they can afford to get their findings published as Open Access.

Unfortunately, their money-making scams are about as effective as their Mad Scientistry, so it’ll be a while yet.

4 Likes

I know where to find some peers!

8 Likes

Especially not for peaceful purposes.

3 Likes

What about for kicks?

1 Like

Y’know, kicks just keep gettin’ harder to find.

4 Likes

I would’ve assumed that mad science in general has a pretty closed off community of peers. Y’know, so no regular scientists accidentally get mixed in. I imagine that makes it a little tough for folks with specialized fields — y’know, the mad ornithologist doesn’t necessarily want their work reviewed by a mad astrophysicist. And the Forresters…well, I’m not sure what field they’re in. But maybe they haven’t published because there isn’t anyone to review their findings.
…Whatever those might be…

2 Likes

Oh, great … now I have the mad ornithologists to worry about.

If they weaponize the starlings, we’re hosed.

6 Likes

Wait, isn’t the show them publishing the results?

The KTMA Mads really care about the ratings and I think there’s a host segment in Comedy Central era with a live feed of viewer numbers.

And there’s also Clayton’s line in the movie about “and now are you”

6 Likes

Oh, crap! Guys! We’re the peer reviewers! And we’ve all been slacking while those poor mad scientists patiently wait for our notes. Better get busy.

5 Likes

Hold on hold on. Are we qualified for that? Are we… peers with mad scientists?

6 Likes

Moves to block the view of his Institute of Mad Scientists membership certificate

Nnnnnoooooo?

3 Likes