Drifting Blues Thread

The requirements for participation in this thread are simple, but very important:

Note the subject of this post. When you respond, acknowledge that subject, and then change it to something else.

Good Luck. (Remember that anyone failing to drift the thread will be severely disciplined.) :wink:

2 Likes

Music makes me think of egg creams. What are your favorite egg cream recipes?

I like the PoMo version with just syrup, some whipped cream stirred in, then slowly fill the glass up with seltzer while gently stirring. That’s how we did it when I worked at the JCC deli, back in the days right after college.

I got a BFA, BTW. If I had it to do all over again I’d skip all that and become a plumber or something else important.

1 Like

I like the subgenre of the Blues which is centered around trains and the wandering life. I always thought that I would like to be an engine driver, riding the rails. Or failing that some other solitary kind of job, like a lighthouse keeper.

Anyone else a lighthouse maven? I’ve seen many of them and hope to stay in one of the few that offers overnight visit.

1 Like

Have to watch out for the stairs, though. Stairs are your hips’ worst enemy.

Ida O’Keefe, Georgia’s sister, loved to paint lighthouses:

1 Like

Oh wow, thanks for the link! I didn’t know about Ida O’Keefe. Those are amazing paintings. :heart_eyes:

And to think she and Georgia’s nephew Miles went on to play Ator. [citation needed]

1 Like

For years, I had Michael and Miles O’Keefe confused. I thought, “Miles, Buddy! You married Bonnie Raitt and you two wrote a song together? Way to go, Kid!”

1 Like

I also have a BFA and I like home projects but I don’t like working in crawlspaces, so no plumbing for me. What I’d really like to have been is an architect. A lot of my choices in college were driven by my complete and totally inability to sleep on a normal schedule (the doctor calls it Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome).

Anyone else find their life just completely derailed by their failure to be A Morning Person?

2 Likes

I’m a morning person who [ahem] “married out.” But he still likes me.

One helpful life change is the deli which moved in 4-5 blocks away. One of us brews the coffee and the other takes a walk and picks up Saturday breakfast for two. (Which is one plate, since the portions are so big and we’re both old people now.) When this system works properly, we can actually get ourselves breakfast almost 15 minutes before lunchtime!

2 Likes

I used to be very much a night owl, but as I’ve gotten older my awake hours have slowly migrated to starting earlier and earlier. I suspect it’s my body’s way of preparing me for old age so that I have maximum lucid hours before sundowning kicks in.

1 Like

I like Little River Band’s “Night Owl” and “Cool Change.” However, both “Lonesome Loser” and “Reminiscing” make me want to have a cyanide tooth handy in case I’m ever stuck listening to them again.

1 Like

Speaking of night and music, I do enjoy Three Dog Night. They are probably the single most referenced band in Joel era MST3K. And in Cinematic Titanic, for that matter.

2 Likes

I have three dogs, but they are not as photogenic as the cats:

4 Likes

lol. What could be more relaxing than a comfy orange-scented cushion?

I like oranges, and I used to love grapefruit, too. Now I can’t have that anymore because of the meds I’m on. [sulks]

2 Likes

My parents love grapefruit. I’ll eat it and it’s fine, but not my favorite citrus.

Speaking of masses of atoms, did you know that the word mole means “mass” in Latin and a molecule is a little mass?

3 Likes

A little mass of molecules is truly the inspired creation of the almighty. Who, coincidentally, can be worshipped at a tiny church that can hold a tiny mass:

2 Likes

:notes: My mama was the cold north wind
My daddy was the son
Of a railroad man
From west of Hell
Where the trains don’t even run

Never heard the whistle of a southbound freight
Or the hummin’ of it’s driving wheels
No, I
Never did no wand’rin’
Never did no wand’rin’
Never did no wand’rin’
After all :notes:

2 Likes

Ah, yes. John Carradine’s closing number from the Red Zone Cuba Special Edition Disc. I misplaced my copy somewhere. What a bummer.

Also, I’m thinking of going out for a nice Cuban dinner on Friday. [studies last remaining October bill looming threateningly over workspace] It could happen. Maybe.

1 Like

I’m probably going to do sushi with a friend on Friday.

Sushi is one of my favorite foods in the universe. Who would have thought vinegared rice with fish could be so addictive?

2 Likes

Or really anything? My local has an avocado tempura roll with a walnut chili sauce that is absolutely addictive. The phone guy there who does the carryout orders + me is the best relationship I’ve had in years! :rofl:

The last time I sat down inside a restaurant to eat was my birthday in March 2019. It was the same sushi place. When was the last time you cruised into a food place and had a seat?

1 Like