During a Flashback?

Remember when? Or are you watching it right now? Prologues, exposition, the past invading the present. What flashback worked best or not at all? Any story need a flashback or have too many?

5 Likes

Oh, Future War gets a piece of cake, that’s for sure. I think one of the riffs is something to the effect of: “His flashback is gonna end at the beginning of the flashback!”

5 Likes

Remember the great flashbacks we used to have?
MV5BYjgzNDA0MGItNWM5ZS00MWRmLTkyYmUtMDg0MDcxMjIzYmEwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODk1MTg5MDU@.V1

3 Likes

The intro to The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) is a such striking flashback and one of the most effective in modern times. It established the mythology in one clear voice.

4 Likes

Worse flashbacking than Cave Dwellers (1984)?

4 Likes

Don’t forget that the flashback came during an extended flashback (which was pretty much the entire movie - when does “tiny bit of present/extended flashback” become “tiny flashforward/extended present”?).

5 Likes

We all know any Wayne’s World flashback is the best.

waynes world dreaming GIF

(Technically not a flashback scene, but whatever.)

4 Likes

The Resurrected has flashbacks within flashbacks within flashbacks. And the whole movie is essentially a flashback.

4 Likes

They’re alternate futures but you’re right they feel like flashbacks.

3 Likes

The Greatest Flashback Ever? Certainly my favorite.

1 Like

I couldn’t easily find a gif of one of the actual flashbacks.

2 Likes

I am rewatching Cave Dwellers right now to find out!

3 Likes

Cave Dwellers had the “Ator’s sister/wife died on the way back to her own planet” moment too.

4 Likes

Angels Revenge is like 65% flashback.

Mike: “THAT was a long flashback.”

6 Likes

Let’s not forget the riveting and entirely pointless flashback sequences at the end of Gamera vs. Gaos. No context, no purpose, nothing. Just scenes from previous movies.

6 Likes

That’s much like the beginning of Gamera vs. Jiger, it’s just clips of other Gamera movies. He’s really neat, though.

6 Likes

Santo and the Treasure of Dracula. Not only is half of the movie a flashback, you get the scintillating storytelling device of characters watching the flashback!

6 Likes

Well if we’re counting regression into a past life, there’s also The Undead.

5 Likes

INTERACTIVE FLASHBACK!!! WAVE OF THE FUTURE!!!

2 Likes

Uh, how do we count something like Memento?

4 Likes