Emerald City Comic-Con (my first Comic-Con trip overall)

SDCC is huge, and generally considered to be the flagship comics convention in North America. But, for the record, NYCC attendance has consistently been larger than SDCC’s since 2014.

Yes. This. You can find some really cool stuff in Artist’s Alley, and meet some great people, too.

That is pretty much how I ended up running the VCON registration desk for a couple of years. Despite living in the NYC area. Worth it, though. (I wonder if we met there at some point, if only in passing.) But, yeah, like you said, there’s always drama and chaos behind the scenes. Still, when we work together to somehow overcome that and put together something that people love, it’s beautiful.

2 Likes

I worked for a very small company in the 90s. Like five employees. We were a recording studio that also had a radio drama catalog. We were able to afford a booth at DragonCon for several years. It’s crazy how expensive it’s gotten.

4 Likes

Denver Comic Con (or FanExpo Denver, or whatever they are calling themselves now) regularly has over 100,000 people in attendance. I think attendance for the 2019 event was close to 150,000.

3 Likes

San Diego I know has a practice of being “loose” with their actual attendance, posting lower numbers. Who knows why, but I’ve seen bylaw avoidance and so people think they have a chance to get into Hall H or other limited events. And that is on top of dozens of corporate and specialized events running along side pulling in people not on SDCCs books.

But I digress. If NYCC had been getting higher attendance, that is awesome for fans and fandom, and happy to be corrected.

3 Likes

Topic drift warning: has anyone else here been a convention volunteer / been on ConCom (right phrase?)

Assuming this damn pandemic ever ends, it would be nice to see if an in person MST3K fan get together is viable.

Have been a volunteer at a bunch of SPXes & a guest liaison at Balticons. (But Grawlixy, you live in Brooklyn, you say. Yes, but my friends online didn’t? Edited to add: My online handle was different then) So: not qualified to take lead, perfectly happy to support an effort.

3 Likes

raises hand

Parents were on ConComs (yes, right phrase :laughing:) for almost 40 years, and the result is I grew up at cons. I have experience with running Con Suites, Masquerades (running, judging, participating), auctioneering, website/social media, program book design, guest relations, security, running panels, being in plays/performances, running video rooms, pretty much everything except actual A/V and hotel liaison.

And I’d be willing to help out for sure, but I don’t honestly have the time to be ConChair or head of labor-intensive divisions (you wouldn’t want me negotiating with hotels, LOL!).

1 Like

From the bottom to the top…
From walk in volunteer to

2 Likes

Haven’t done many conventions in my life, but I did go to one just to see Stan Lee in one of his last comiccon tours.

They were upfront about costs in adverts and such, it’s not like that was any surprise. I knew and planned and saved special for it. It was the first con for the organizers in this city, and what a bungle. Unorganized, no signage, and no one at the help desk knew anything (so I never did find the room where they held panels). I brought some issues of Revival to have signed by Tim Seeley, but he was a no show.

Despite those disappointments, I got to meet Stan, have a photo with him, and an autograph and even got to talk to him briefly. So, despite the rest of it being a fail, that part of it made it worthwhile, made it worth every penny. (and, that photo is right in front of me, I’m looking at Mr. Lee and I as I type)

2 Likes