Empathetic Badge

Agreed.

7 Likes

Yeah I’ve gone after the email thing too, it’s become less a reward I want, than I challenge. “You will not defeat me email badge, one day I shall best you!”

Also, I wonder if folks might get so tied into them, that they’d get hurt over ‘not’ receiving a like. “So and so normally likes my posts, why not this one… did I offend them, am I ugly and stupid… whyyyyyy?”

9 Likes

+1.

I’ve enjoyed helping others get those last couple of badges over in that other thread, but not having them myself wasn’t keeping me awake at night. My only exception to the “I only like what I truly like” is if I’m the owner of the thread. I’m more likely (but not guaranteed) to like for just participating in that case.

But am I ever going to use up all of my likes in a day just for a badge? No.

9 Likes

Guilty of that myself. I like to encourage discourse, so to speak.

7 Likes

I agree with that, in regards to appreciation for participation likes. I’ve given those, especially when it takes some work to answer a question (my birth year thread) and people are putting a lot of themselves into their replies.

7 Likes

It’s a community. It’s a culture. Some folks will pursue badges. Some won’t. I dole my likes out slowly. Some like everything. I happen to love all MSTies, but since there isn’t a “love” I can attach to profiles rather than posts, I simply enjoy their company.

13 Likes

What’s up with all the shade against using likes in a loose manner in order to achieve a badge

5 Likes

I would say it’s just a preference. I can’t speak for others, but when I say I don’t use likes to seek badges, I’m not judging anyone else. To each their own.

7 Likes

(Editing sloppy writing)

Exactly, it’s not meant as shade, just an opinion and a preference. (as previously mentioned, I prefer not to be used like a game piece).

EBKs thought that it’s a culture, intrigues me. Because I get it… though I don’t really get it. I accept that things change, but I’m older and some changes are confusing or strange to me. The oversharing, the need for -and even campaigning for- likes and followers on social media sites.

I’m concerned that if I get too caught up in things like that, it’ll warp reality, that I’ll become needy and grasping. So when a review of mine, or whatnot, receives no likes, no comments, I’ll stop and say to myself, “that’s okay, you need that sometimes, it keeps you humble. No one owes you, it’s not their job to feed your ego.”

And again, to stress, I’m not passing judgment on persons or the culture, it’s just a personal thing, wanting to keep myself grounded.

7 Likes

Apologies—no shade intended. As said much better above, saying it’s not how I do things wasn’t intended as a statement on how anyone else does. Everyone’s experience here is different.

8 Likes

I’d like your post, but I’ve used up my daily likes up for today :rofl: I hear you about the social psychology-I’m 45 and I only use social media sites for RPG and giggles…I try not to take the likes or anything else too seriously.

9 Likes

That’s alright, keeps me humble. :wink:

8 Likes

I am never one to disparage looseness of any kind. That’s exactly how I keep my morals.

10 Likes

I’m humble because I’ve had every mental disorder except delusions of grandeur. I believe that is why God put me here to guide you simple folk.

11 Likes

All things in moderation, including moderation.

8 Likes

I used to have severe paranoia mixed with homicidal rage. But it went away after I killed everyone.

7 Likes

Yeah, I really wish there was some sort of laugh react as well as the heart. There are an awful lot of funny people here.

9 Likes

I tried, but I suspect they were (and continue to be) overwhelmed with just keeping the ship afloat at the moment. Still, we can dream! :star2:

7 Likes

We’re kinda going off the rails in here, but I like it. :crazy_face: How about an apathetic badge?

“I’ve been meaning to become more apathetic, but I just can’t be bothered to care about it anymore.”

8 Likes

:woman_shrugging: :trophy: :man_shrugging:

6 Likes