Enabling ads... On purpose?

How about a feature to let me enable ads, like on purpose? I own a bunch of episodes, but I’d watch ads during them to help support the show. If I’d tolerate ads on Tubi, why the heck wouldn’t I do it in the Gizmoplex to support MST3K itself?

10 Likes

I mean I guess you could watch while logged out?

5 Likes

I use Adblock Plus on Firefox, and I just have it set up so that the add-on is specifically disabled for gizmoplex dot com.

5 Likes

Sorry but I only watch ads for Dysfunctional Popcorn and Mystos.

9 Likes

And Wild Rebels Cereal. Part of this complete breakfast!

10 Likes

I think I’d need to be logged-in in order to watch. I will look into creating a free account to watch with ads enabled. I probably don’t need to worry about my identity while watching MST3K.

It’s not that I’m blocking ads - I’m volunteering to watch ads with episodes I already own. I don’t think the Gizmoplex will show ads if the episode is one you own. Unless I was logged in with a different, non-paid account…

3 Likes

At present, the only ads on the Gizmoplex are those from our founding sponsors (who backed the Kickstarter) and possibly one or two other pals of the show. It’s likely that at some point down the line we will offer an ad-powered option for the Gizmoplex, but that’s a little ways off. But your generous offer is appreciated. :blush:

12 Likes

No to ads. If only because of this experience when I recently got onto Shout!

3 Likes

Good lord, that’s obscene.

3 Likes

I know. And for the record, that was not a typo. There WERE 14 commercials in a row! :scream_cat:

2 Likes

Wow. That’s “actually, do I really want to keep watching?” levels of infuriating. Especially knowing that most online services rotate about 5 or 6 targeted ads at you at most, meaning you’d be seeing a loop of the same five ads two or three times in the one frustratingly lengthy break!

4 Likes

I get that a LOT when I first start up the Shout Factory MST3K Channel on Roku.

I find that I can usually sidestep that by clicking Back and then selecting the channel again. That usually takes me down from 14 ads to about 4 or 5.

1 Like

Fourteen of the same commercial? 'cause that’s how it usually seems to me…

3 Likes

So very true. I enjoyed repeater commercials a year or two back for someone running for Mayor of New York (I think).

We live in Colorado :joy:

4 Likes

I live in Australia and for a couple of years I was accessing Hulu through a VPN (due to it being region-blocked here). As a result, 100% of the ads I had to sit through were for products and services that were unavailable to me.

Those ads for medications that are 90% just a list of potential horrific side-effects, accompanied by feel-good music and stock footage of people laughing with friends… we don’t have those kind of ads in Australia. They felt like comedy sketches!

5 Likes

Usually your disease cubes with a puppy, too. Good times, loved ones, and a puppy.

The stones to queue up that many ads. That’s the hottest of garbage. Tubi used to run 4 in a row for an online community college or something similar (clearly they touched me, deeply) and I thought that was excessive. 14 is something special.

2 Likes

To be clear, I’m not asking anyone to join me in my dumb idea to watch ads on purpose. Don’t do that to yourself.

3 Likes

I think I’d do the same thing, actually. First, because I want to help, but also because it feels weird to me for them to go to an ad break… and then not go to an ad break.

I don’t want 14 ads(!!!) but maybe give me the option of 30 seconds to two minutes per break.

(Gotta have time to run to the bathroom and grab something from the fridge, lol.)

I do hope they’ll consider your idea as a revenue generator. I suspect we’re not the only ones who would accept ads to improve MST3K’s financial standing.

1 Like