English Majors -- this is your moment to shine!

Can any one here please identify the book Joel is reading from at the start of King Dinosaur? The part where he reads,

Once there were big billows of pure spirit,
I’d – we’d – run through it like a sprinkler . . .

I love this. I love hearing Joel read it. I love Tom’s vocal accompaniment. I love the fact that after welcoming us to the SOL, Joel says, “We’ll be right with you” and then carries on with what he and the bots were already doing before we (perhaps rudely?) interrupted them. I love that color on Joel! I have no idea why this host segment was proposed, written or included in the show, what it was supposed to mean or why it is one of my favorites – and I love all that too!

So do we have a literary genius among us who is willing to let their beat flag fly and identify this work of poetry/prose for us?

9 Likes

I just assumed it was original. It has a certain goofyness about it.

9 Likes

The only thing that comes up in a search for that passage is MST3K itself.

Perhaps it’s an original meditation on beat poetry?

9 Likes

This is the whole thing. Pretty sure they made it up for the show.

“Once there were big billows of pure spirit I’d - We’d run through it like a sprinkler I’d try to send it down baffles and tubes through accident and experiment I work the smoke Keeping it at my bedside like a humidifier A steady stream Some nights like a dream I’d see it sputter The thing is just a curl now Time to get on my shoes and find that billow of pure spirit I traded away my smoke tools months ago Who needs them, when you’ve got that steady stream?”

13 Likes

As an English major, I didn’t recognize it. I tried Googling it on my recent re-watch, but, as optiMSTie said, all that came up was the episode. I still thought it was a gas, daddy-o

9 Likes

I hadn’t even considered the possibility of it just being something they wrote for the show. I guess that would make sense. Using part of a published book without express permission could be problematic.

I really love this segment, so whoever wrote it really got the beat feeling (as opposed to the Go-Gos who just got the beat). It starts the show off on a very nice note.

And then later on we get to meet Joey the Lemur!

8 Likes

Yeah, they’d have to get clearance. What do you think this is, Belinda Carlisle?

7 Likes

But they really got the beat (they got the beat, they got the beat- they got the beat!)

6 Likes

Quasi-related…can anyone tell what Mike is reading in Hobgoblins? Before the “Women” sketch? (Tom is reading Richard Scarry’s What Do People Do All Day?)

4 Likes

Mike appears to be reading the Norton Critical Edition of Bleak House.

11 Likes

Wow, thanks opti, that was not readable on my screen!

7 Likes

Very welcome - cheers!

5 Likes

I went with the writing concentration, not lit, and to this day I refuse to identify or analyze jack. So neener.

3 Likes

Apparently there was a poet on the writing team at the time. I’m honestly a little obsessed with this.

6 Likes

It looks like goofy dada fun, like Phish lyrics or something.

3 Likes

I’m guessing it’s by John Lillson, England’s greatest one-armed poet and author of Pointy Birds.

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy,
Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

1 Like

It’s pronounced “HUH ferrrerrur”

1 Like

I love this whole thread and all you nerds. :hugs:

6 Likes

[smiles]

[cleans off horn-rimmed glasses]

[puffs on inhaler]

[relinquishes lunch money]

4 Likes

I parlayed my English degree into a (haha) “career” doing technical writing for software, which means I’m not contributing to poetry slams (you’re welcome) or teaching your children (you’re also welcome), but I’ll quote Shakespeare: “Words, words, words. The magical fruit.”

7 Likes