Epics

Epic movies, long songs, lengthy books, larger than life entertainment that goes on and on. What’s your favorite example? And why?

1 Like

Well, as far as classic epics, I love the Odyssey. I’ve never watched a movie of it, but I’ve read it (parts in the original Greek!) and it’s such a classic tale and… shockingly for Greek mythology, it actually has a happy ending. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

By the end? Yes. The Odyssey is a lasting great example Teri of a substantial telling topped by a positive close. It doesn’t have to be a movie. That’s only one example. Oral storytelling, songs, movies, novels, series or miniseries on Television, RPGs. It all applies.

2 Likes

Oh, I know you weren’t requiring a movie. I just wanted to differentiate because I know there are movies that have been made, but I’ve never found them as appealing as the original story.

1 Like

Oh agreed. Homer’s The Odyssey in its original form is the only way to go. “Accept no substitutes!!!”

I enjoyed The Baroque Cycle series by Neal Stephenson. 2,650 pages of story during a fascinating era about which I went into not knowing much. The main characters are quirky and interesting. I didn’t feel like I had to force myself to finish it like I did LotR.

3 Likes

I loved those books.

Though I love LotR more, and it is probably my favorite epic.

Others would be the original Star Wars trilogy, the Infinity Saga, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Elric of Melniboné, Asimov’s mega-epic (that stretches from I, Robot through the Spacer, Empire, and Foundation series), Les Misérables, Tad Williams’ Memory, Sorrow and Thorn and Otherland series, Stephen King’s Dark Tower series and The Stand, Game of Thrones, Xena: Warrior Princess, Y: The Last Man (the comic), Scott Pilgrim, the Girl Genius webcomic, Beethoven’s 9th, Berlioz’s Symphonie Fantastique, and the Course of Empire series of paintings by Thomas Cole.

5 Likes

I love those paintings! And his Voyage of Life series as well. They’re so detailed and rich with meaning.

2 Likes

I saw them in person a few years ago. I didn’t want to leave.

2 Likes

I’ve never had that experience although I’d love to someday.

1 Like

You’re not alone.

I frequently watch it when I’m sick in bed…

2 Likes

Oh, incidentally, I forgot to mention that I am Spartacus.

2 Likes

@FlyingSquid But of course you are. So am I. :wink:

1 Like

Coincidentally a pic directed by Richard Attenborough. “It’s a Small World after all!!!”

1 Like

Hey, I wasn’t the one who had the problem with Chaplin. I mean I didn’t love it, but I thought it was okay.

1 Like

It flies by much like Ice Cream on a Summer day. The 3 hours is gone before you blink.

1 Like

True. I found it ironic was all.

1 Like

Not sure if it’s of the same caliber but Apocalypse Now Redux is pretty engrossing to me. Ivery time I watch it I find new layers, timeless insights. And it’s weird because HoD doesn’t hit the same way.
KnMR

2 Likes

@Cabbagepatch_Elvis Coppola-wise The Godfather (1972) is hard to beat. The cast, the lighting, the runtime, and the majesty of the period SPELLS epic in my book.

1 Like