Episode 822- Overdrawn at the Memory Bank

He’s creepy with his obsession over that one woman. She’s not interested Fingal, move on. In today’s world it might be considered sexual harassment. (It’s better emotionally to view movies as a representation of the time period. Otherwise I’d be throwing things at the TV watching everything. Last time I did that I knocked the TV over with a sock.) To give some perspective of the 80s: Ghostbusters had no problem with blatant sexual harassment, and is still considered a classic. This movie also ended PBS’ experiment in film making. Which is why I’m surprised people want a lot for it on eBay.

4 Likes

I can find no evidence supporting what I’m about to say, but I remember watching this when it was originally shown on PBS’s American Playhouse 4 Feb 1985 (my birthday!)

And I swear that in an interview I read (or watched?) somebody connected with OatMB said that this was the first time a feature length movie had all-digital post production. It seems like it’s low budget, but it was actually quite expensive to make.

3 Likes

It was definitely not the first feature film shot on video. 200 Motels was shot on video in 1971.

1 Like

It’s sad that this example of “cutting edge” technology backfired so badly. Compare with all the TV series shot on film (so much more resolution). One of the surprising offerings on those new HD content channels during the early days of High Definition TVs was the old 1960s TV series Hogan’s Heroes. Surprisingly gorgeous picture and a real “wt_?” moment when I first saw it.

I never saw Overdrawn on PBS at the time, but I did see the other one, The Lathe of Heaven, and very much enjoyed it. (“How is something this good and ‘out there’ on TV? PBS, even?”) It looks like Overdrawn never even got a DVD release, only even lower res VHS.

2 Likes

Absolutely delightful, and featuring one of my favorite end credits bits.

2 Likes

I updated my entry to make it a bit more clear that the “selling point” was that it was the first all-digital post-production. Which may or may not even be true. Was kind of hoping somebody else can verify that it’s factual :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

True, doesn’t he literally say something like “I’ve asked you out 97 times and you always say no”? Dude, take a hint.

2 Likes

“Electron Sex Party” would be a good band name, but I think Ninja Sex Party stole that thunder.

2 Likes

Probably completely ruining the company since that is his goal and that’s how he spends the rest of the movie. The confusion over, “I’m integrated,” is weird. Never understood why that was hard to figure out. He combined his brain with the computer. Integrate means to combine thoroughly. I’m pretty sure he’s combined thoroughly if he can alter everything at will.

1 Like

Since you obviously have technology your not Amish. They tend to be causing the least amount of damage in the US. You’re causing climate change whether intentionally or not. In the SW of the US wasting water also wastes electricity. Sorry to burst your water balloon, but water fights are wasteful. Ever had a leisurely drive? Well you used up fossil fuel and added pollution. Single use plastics also use up fossil fuels. Not all plastic is recyclable. So even if you’re awesome enough to recycle, some ends up in the trash.
I probably depressed you a bit. Well luckily some plastic is edible. Capsule medicine is a type of digestible plastic.

When I was a kid, I used to think that movie was actually kind of cool. It was one of the more recent films they had covered and the mall aesthetic still hadn’t quite aged so horribly. Now it’s all frosted cube windows and bad community college campus looks, but back then, it felt modern. I think as a kid, that somehow made MST3K feel more futuristic that they were covering a newer movie. I had been made recently familiar with Raul Julia due to Addams Family and Street Fighter, so it felt even more modern.

7 Likes

Thank you. Years ago I posted how frustrating a movie was because it was mostly fat jokes. It’s rare that an overweight person is clueless about being large. Some people have a glandular problem that causes them to be shaped a certain way. They definitely know it because they have to deal with more health problems.
As Deadpool says, “That’s just lazy writing.” Unless you’re under 10 it’s not clever. The guy has a used car dealer creepiness to him. He’s the boss you fantasize meeting with catastrophe. You can do a lot with his personality. Maybe some comments about how weird it is to want to be some animals. Like why would someone want to be a goldfish? They have no memory. Koalas have a very disgusting method of eating. Nobody wants to be a male black widow spider. A sloth barely does anything. That would be a fun use of credits.
There’s one thing I thought I should clarify. In the movie his doppelganger is “Fat Man.” His actual name is “Chairman.”

2 Likes

I don’t know, if you have a character named ‘Fat Man’ I think fat jokes are expected. It’s more inappropriate in a movie like Daddy-O.

2 Likes

Eh, a couple would be. “Oh that’s a creative name. How long did it take for them to come up with that.” Technically a fat joke since it’s acknowleges his weight, but more of an insult to the writers. “I wonder if his cousin is The Thin Man.” Still a fat joke, but more thought put into it. Imitating flatulence, suggesting all his thoughts are about food, and body shaming is just being an ass. Overweight people are not constantly letting out gas. They have a wide range of thoughts. People have enough self image problems already. Mike, Kevin, and Bill are not walking skeletons. So pot meet kettle.

3 Likes

What’s funny is that weight stability, even if it’s classed as “obesity,” is probably healthier for most people than yo-yo dieting aka weight cycling. At least, if it the owner of the body is still eating well and managing to be active. Though it’s pretty nasty to mock people for being unhealthy anyway, regardless of what size they are. And I can definitely vouch for the fact that repeated dieting will actually make you heavier over time. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

One of my favorites. I think the Rifftrax guys should take a crack at this in one of their live shows.

1 Like

Raul Julia and Jeremy Irons are two actors who immediately improve ANY movie they show up in, no matter how crappy the movie.

If they had ever acted in the same movie together? The world would have exploded. Fortunately for us, that never happened.

3 Likes

I actually lost weight by binging on bacon. Lean protein is important. I tried doing a weight loss program. Suddenly they overhauled the program. That’s when I realized that they have no idea what they’re talking about. I sat in the pizza parlor while someone else was there. As the riff in Manos goes, “I’m just as God made me, ma’am.”
“Cats were once worshipped as gods, and they never forgot about it.” My cat decided I’m to be comfortable to sit upon. There’s no point in arguing with a cat.

1 Like

I have polycystic kidney disease, so the last thing I need in my life is more animal protein. :roll_eyes: Thennnks.

Sorry, I don’t know anything about it. Peanut butter was once recommended for people unable to eat meat. Soy and tofu contain protein. Given time I could think of more. The vegetarian area has options.

1 Like