Episode 822- Overdrawn at the Memory Bank

A VHS copy is a few hundred dollars even in moderate condition. I’ve been trying to find one that is affordable. When you consider that it ended PBS movie making, it’s ridiculous to want that much. VHS is not a popular medium, it’s fragile, and can be destroyed by a VCR. I’ll consider $50 to be generous, especially if unwrapped or watched. I’ve had so many tapes destroyed just by dust and time. Someone kindly gave me some tips on purchasing and storing them.
vhs vcr GIF

3 Likes

That reminds me of a mini documentary on the history of Doctor Who on home video. Back in the Day, Who fans also did tape trading, which meant lots of copying. At one point, a demonstration is given of the degradation that occurs when you make copies of copies of copies. A series of snippets were shown where the picture slowly gets funkier and the audio develops an annoying buzz. At about the tenth or twelfth generation, the narrator remarks that this is the lowest quality video their DVD software could read. So take our word for it, there are some tapes that are even worse than this.

5 Likes

As someone who had multi-generation copies of Doctor Who episodes, I can attest to this.

4 Likes

Thanks for backing me up on this. Most of our movie collection are things we recorded. I’m sure a lot of those are garbage by now. Those things need a lot of TLC if they’re to last. The only time I’ve had trouble with DVDs are ones from the dollar bin. It says something about my movie tastes when I find a lot of past owned movies in the discount bin.

2 Likes

I just had to figure out the Novicorp filming location. It’s at 33 Younge Street in Toronto. Check it out here: https://gwlraleasing.com/building/33-yonge-street?search=

5 Likes

I finally found an unriffed full length version of the film, thus I could finally see it in its full glory.

Man, this film REALLY wanted to be more than it could afford, didn’t it? And yet, I can watch the film riff or unriffed because 70s/80s era video with special effects is absolutely what I live for. It really has the feel of a Doctor Who episode from that time. The opening with the unintelligible and incomprehensible computer graphics, the inane business talk that was likely a send-up of the economic mentality for its time, and the soundtrack sounds both inspired (especially during the titles) and insipid (pretty much everywhere else).

The scenes cut for time do help to emphasize the danger that Apollonia is in both from the process of linking with Fingal’s mind in the computer and from overstepping her boundaries with the Chairman. Slavin (Ralph Malph) has a bit more screentime to be a hardass boss who wants nothing to do with it so his record remains spotless, but other than that, many of the problems still remain: the Novicorp Chairman is way to antagonistic towards Fingal, trying to keep him from delving too deep into the computer, ultimately leading Fingal to delve too deep; there’s no sense of an “outside world” since the entirety of the production is recorded indoors; the business sabotage subplot goes absolutely nowhere; and Fingal’s various solutions to hacking the system are absolutely nonsensical. Even adding in the scene where Fingal is momentarily convinced to follow the Chairman’s orders to leave, leading everyone in Casablanca to shun him, feels more like filler.

Despite all that, Raul Julia honestly sells it all, and given his untimely passing, it’s great to get a double dose of Raul Julia to enjoy. Plus…it’s WAY easier and much more enjoyable to understand than ANY of the Matrix sequels.

5 Likes

Just rewatched it and it definitely stands up over the test of time. It’s ‘PBS’ feel and Julia’s actual good performance make it stand out over a lot of other MST entries. The story structure itself is solid, and it’s mostly low budget issues that hurt it. But it goes into the upper tier for me.

Also love the ‘Donation Drive’ skits that fit perfectly with the feel of the movie.

3 Likes

One of my faves!!!

2 Likes

Send my Dopple down there and be sure to monitor my cube time AND my Fingal time!

3 Likes

4 Likes

More funny quotes!

[On the name of “The Place”]
Mike: Formerly “That Other Place”.
Servo: Yeah, they hired a huge consulting firm for millions of bucks, and this was the name they thought up.

Servo: Formerly “The Locale”.

Mike: Formerly “The Site”.

3 Likes

The whole tech support exchange is a hoot. Mike calls a hotline to complain about the plot holes in the movie. The woman on the other end says that Mike has no right to complain because he didn’t watch the movie all the way to the end, credits included.

Then we get this:

Operator: When did you purchase your copy of Overdrawn At The Memory Bank ?
Mike: I, uh, didn’t purchase it, exactly…
Operator: (sarcastic scoff) So … you are an unauthorized viewer of Overdrawn At The Memory Bank ?
Mike : Well, uh…
Operator :I am legally required to report this violation of —
Bots : Hang up! Hang up! (Mike hangs up in a panic. He and the Bots race out of the theater.)
Crow : Well, that got us nowhere!
Servo: Oh man, we’re in trouble…

3 Likes

This one would be a good candidate for surgical enhancement.

4 Likes

So, in my office building, a new company is moving in…so every time I enter the building, I think one or all of these riffs!

Formerly…that other place :laughing:

5 Likes

The other place?

5 Likes

Sorry, that’s now under new management.

12-466x350

6 Likes

We were recently in Effingham, Illinois and there’s a motel there called ‘Motel.’

5 Likes

This is in a town nearby!

The Venue

5 Likes

Sometimes they make it easier by numbering themselves.

3 Likes

There used to be a T&A Bar & Grill here called The Office. I think they chose the name with the express purpose of having a quasi-Taintor ad with a 1950s guy on the phone saying, “I’ll be at The Office late tonight, Honey.” They went out of business after 6-8 months. :laughing:

3 Likes