Episode 822- Overdrawn at the Memory Bank

Oh, so Fingal wasn’t a creepy, murdering, entitled lech (who tried to model his meaningless life on a fictional character who he didn’t even understand) in the original story? That makes me feel a little better.

2 Likes

The original was a lot more thoughtful – I’ll have to dig it out again, I haven’t read it in a while. Oddly enough, one of the few scenes in the movie that was from the novella was the whole “Venus on the Half Shell” sequence.

4 Likes

Oh, I agree completely. In this case, what happened was that an executive had a script for a totally different robot movie, realized they had the rights to I, Robot and told a punch-up doctor to throw in a few Asimov references and call it a day. Don’t blame the crew in this case.

4 Likes

Oh no. I lay the blame squarely at the feet of director Alex Proyas, and writers Jeff Vintar and Akiva Goldsman (the latter of whom I consider to be the Jack Kevorkian of script doctors).

2 Likes

It took a LOT of work to find, I have new admiration for Fingle, that was the movie in full. OMG, so much better. I haven’t read the book. In many cases the book is better. I couldn’t follow Tolkien in either format. In their defense some things are too fantastic to get into a movie when it was made. We’re talking about a time when 8-bit games were high tech. My mind was blown over 16-bit games. (I think my hair just turned grey.)
For reference my mobile is 6 GB, approximately 6 billion little biddy bytes. That’s about 750 million original NES machines.

3 Likes

Wanna sell it to someone who will watch and enjoy it.
Cat Kitty GIF by Taffy

1 Like

Really? Cuz the way I’ve seen it lately, Hollywood likes to call the existing fanbase “toxic” to guard themselves against any criticism for changes or defamation of established characters.

1 Like

They already have fans in their pockets who will see anything that has their favorite stamp on it so they make something they think will attract new people which usually appeals to no one

But that’s just my opinion and I’m drinking wine :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::wine_glass:

2 Likes

I think you two are talking about two different situations.

2 Likes

I already watch and enjoy it! It was the follow-up to PBS’ production of “The Lathe of Heaven” which was actually pretty good…

4 Likes

Well I’m grateful that it’s enjoyed. There’s someone in my town trying to sell it on eBay, but the price is pretty high. He won’t negotiate either. Have fun watching it. :heart:

1 Like

Meh … I know a lot of people have a fondness for this episode, but for me it comes in the bottom-half of all MST eps (I.E. I think its below average). I find it duller, more plodding, and somewhat lacking in the riffing memorability compared to most episodes. Is it “bad”? No - even the worst MST is better than most other stuff on TV. But if this episode rotates in on the Twitch channel? I usually pass on it. 4 out of 10 at best.

4 Likes

Well, now we can’t be friends anymore! :rage:

J/K…lol. We all have different tastes. =) We’re still friends! :purple_heart:

3 Likes

If you haven’t seen it unriffed the movie has enough plot holes to qualify as Swiss cheese. Many of us could’ve come up with some riffs worthy of a paycheck for this episode. If I understand correctly they went gentle on the main character because he recently passed away. The character’s name is Fat Man, and a few weight jokes are expected. However they lack any creativity. It’s like a 1st grader wrote them. They missed many opportunities for riffs. “I asked you out 47 times already.” 1. And counting 2. I just can’t take a hint. 3. (90s reference) It’s sexual harassment, you don’t have to take it. 4. The Pepé Le Pew of dopple monitors. 5. They censor this scene in the French version. (Addams Family reference)
That’s 5 possible somewhat clever jokes thought up in 2 minutes by a not particularly funny person.
I think some of the fondness comes from nostalgia. I’ve noticed many people my age miss the 80s. One reason might be because we were kids then and middle age is stressful.

1 Like

I wouldn’t go back to live the 80s again if you paid me.

Being a kid then was way more stressful than being a grownup now. Plus, Duran Duran. Yeccchhh!!!

1 Like

“Get your monkeys instantly from Instant Monkeys Online!”

3 Likes

My memories of the 80s involve He-Man, Care Bears, My Little Pony, having to program the VCR for the adults, constantly watching VHS tapes, Nintendo, board games, and stuffed toys. My older sister is 7.6 years older than me. So I hung out with those who always smiled and didn’t complain a.k.a. stuffed toys.

3 Likes

Did they film most of the movie in an office building?

3 Likes

Very possible. PBS likely did not give them the budget to build too many sets.

3 Likes

The location reminded me a lot of how they filmed Logan, so that’s why I asked. Maybe it was an office building PBS owned, lol.

3 Likes