Episodes you disliked at first, but later came to love

Inspired by a separate line of discussion in the Episodes You Won't Watch Because You Can't Sit Through The Movie? thread, I pose this question: which MST3K episodes did you grow to love after disliking at first?

In my case, I remember really not liking The Starfighters on that first watch. It was like the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide said (and as a riff near the end put it), there was just so much nothing going on in that movie. It was a flummoxing experience.

But several months down the line, I thought, “Ah, what the hell” and gave the episode another try. Maybe I was in a better frame of mind or more open-minded as I watched it, but whatever the reason may have been, I really enjoyed the episode much more than I did when I initially viewed it.

How about you? Have you come to like (or even champion) certain MST3K episodes after disliking them?

6 Likes

I like Teen-Age Crime Wave quite a lot more now that I originally did. The film is a taut setpiece, and the riffing is very good.

2 Likes

Manos. First time was rough. Now:

12 Likes

For me it was “Tormented” it was the second episode of MST3K I had seen (after “Space Mutiny”) and I just didn’t care for it or the riffs at the time.

Now I kind of love it

6 Likes

At first I couldn’t really get into Killer Fish or Avalanche. Initially, I think I had a hard time getting past how douchey Diller and Rock Hudson were. The musical number in Killer Fish and the riffs in Avalanche won me over.

8 Likes

I mentioned elsewhere that I ultimately fell in love with The Christmas That Almost Wasn’t after the first viewing almost broke my brain with its sheer bizarreness.

While I don’t think it’s as good as the other Xmas episodes, it’s close to being my favorite of the last two seasons (or 1.5 seasons) beat out only by Beast of Hollow Mountain and Killer Fish. They come out strong with a Kate Beaton reference right away. Later, we get the big reveal that Santa Claus is Jewish! How could I not finally give in. <3

5 Likes

The first watch of Manos is very much a “what… what is this? Is this film a manifestation of the King in Yellow or Nyarlathoptep?”, so I think that one definitely needs a few rewatches to really appreciate.

6 Likes

Watching it used to feel like rubbing a cheese grater on the back of my thigh, but Ring of Terror and I buried the hatchet and we’re cool now.

6 Likes

I was ready to quit on nu-MST after Reptilicus, but after all these years I’ve found the humor in it.

I’ve also warmed up to Hamlet and Skydivers

4 Likes

When Season 11 dropped I was baffled by how popular Cry Wilderness was. I mean, it was okay but the movie was kind of dull (confession: I’m not big on child protagonists) and it wasn’t even a real movie? But after seeing it a few more times I was less distracted by the weirdness of a movie that seems morally opposed to anything happening (“oh we’ll just come back to these live wild animals later” “bigfoot is here but not for any particular reason”) and was able to appreciate the riffs more. Plus, it is the movie with my name in the credits.

BANG!

7 Likes

What may help those of us of [ahem] a certain age is that flicks like CW were inescapable in the early 1970s. I was a little kid then, and while I didn’t see it at that time, there were The Wilderness Family and The Bears & I and who knows how many other near-identical G-rated fiascos. The folks had to placate us somehow and there were only so many Disney movies out… :wink:

3 Likes

I must be about 5 years too young then, I was born in the 70’s but I mostly watched Saturday morning cartoons, Mister Rogers, Captain Kangaroo… I don’t recall the movies you mention but maybe I’m just lucky!

4 Likes

Oh, I remember those. The warm fuzzies I feel when the robots dump ping-pong balls on Joel are off the charts.

Regionally we also had The Magic Garden , The Me Too Show (not connected to the modern meaning of “Me, Too,” thankfully), The Patchwork Family, Wonderama… SO much of this would get into the riffs if I were doing that for a living. :smiley:

3 Likes

Hamlet.

6 Likes

I didn’t like Mighty Jack the first time because it was so damn incomprehensible, but now that’s what I love about it. That and the weed smoking guy in charge.

3 Likes

Yongary.

2 Likes

The Starfighters, for pretty much the same reasons as others have said (The aggressive nothingness is stunning). Over time, I’ve really warmed to it, mostly because it’s so impressive how well riffed they managed to make it. MST3K really can mine humor out of anything.

Plus, it has delightful host segments and it’s worth sitting though just for all the “Poopie Suit!” riffs!

And as an Iowan, I love all the Iowa riffs too! :laughing:

4 Likes

You guys are actually making me want to give Starfighters another chance. Like you’ve said, it was so boring!

For me, San Francisco International was one I disliked at first. A recent post on reddit talking about the dark humor in it made me give it another chance and now I like it!

6 Likes

I think when I was a kid I was just happy when it was on. It was like this special little treat.

3 Likes

Oh man… this. This is 100% me without the “getting funnier ever(sic) single time I see it!” part since I only watched Manos: Hands of Fate once and that was rough. But, now that I think back on it, I came up with a riff about 2 seconds before they came up with the same riff! So now I’m thinking I need to rewatch it (facepalm).

4 Likes