Episodes you disliked at first, but later came to love

It helps if one is the very improbable fan of both Scott Thorson and Bob Dornan.

I’m sure there’s someone who enjoys both people equally.

2 Likes

The Coleman Francis episodes for me as well. Learning the three movies were this man’s complete body of work sparked my interest and I started warming up to them. They’re still bleak as hell, but somehow they’re now among my favorites.

I think they’re living examples of the show’s ethos of “love letters to bad movies.” The gang riffs the heck out of 'em, but with an undercurrent of warmth, almost pity.

3 Likes

I love San Francisco International. The whole scene with Pernell Roberts talking Davey down to land the plane is all-time. Pernell: “Now when I tell you, pull it out half-way.” Mike: “N-no: the throttle.” Also Pernell: “Now I want you to remember - " Tom: " - you’re a bad and evil person.”

As for me, I could not stand Horrors of Spider Island the first few times. Just so slimy and cheesecake and pointless. But the non-striptease music for the movie’s not so bad, and the riffing is top notch, absolutely saves the movie (except for a few scattered transphobic jokes about the somewhat muscular dancer Babs). My favorite for some reason is when the ballerina’s going to audition: “Let’s have a look!” Crow: “But none of that modern stuff; just shake your dinners.”

1 Like

fugitive alien, it’s the little details like blond wigs, that only make sense in some alternate universe, that grow on you, like a slow growing green and yellow fungus that is weeping little pink tears of ooze.

4 Likes

Same for me. San Francisco International was so dull at first, it really took a few watchings to get the flow of it. Now it’s one of my favorites. Daaavvyyyyy!

3 Likes

Just rewatched Season Three and to my utter amazement, Master Ninja I and (yeah, I admit, hard to believe) The Castle Of Fu Manchu really tickled my funny bone this time ! Seriously, I’ve watched every episode of MST3K at least 10 times each since the mid 90’s and it amazes me that not only do I never get tired of it, my appreciation of the show is STILL GROWING ! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

This is how I felt when I saw the later seasons several years after the show had been canceled a second time. I hadn’t seen most of them before. But it was '08 and my life was… not so great. I can pick apart many of those episodes now but at the time I was just giddy to have come back to a happy place again, even if it had changed a lot.

5 Likes