Episodes You Won't Watch Because You Can't Sit Through The Movie?

Fu Mancu and Atlantic Rim are right up at the top of the list for me, but there’s another that I’ve never been able to sit through, and that’s Invasion USA. That and A Date with your Family are just so full of toxic 50s propaganda. The crew rips them apart, but the two together really get to me.

3 Likes

Makes complete sense when you put it like that. My gripes are just with the movie itself. I’ve rewatched the episode a few times cause the Shrews riff, rodeo short’s riff and host segments on it are all top notch. But I know I couldn’t watch the movie without all that, haha.
Also, congrats on recovering! :heart:

4 Likes

And then when they make the Killer Shrew drink, it’s non-alcoholic. Someday I will make a Killer Shrew just to say I did it.

4 Likes

My answer to the title question is “No.”

3 Likes

Pod People. I know it’s a favorite of so many, and yes I have seen it all the way through but I just can’t imagine ever doing it again. Yes, I love the classic host segments but it’s not enough to save the atrocious film. It’s way worse than Manos, IMO. It just makes me feel sick watching it. So terrible on every level.

5 Likes

Heh. I love to celebrate 7/4 each year by watching Rocket Attack: USA and Invasion: USA as a double feature. I could never endure either movie without riffs, though. My joy absolutely comes from watching Our Heroes shred all that bargain-basement patriotic drivel.

11 Likes

Please make a new post/topic about this in about a month to remind us to do this double feature, which is clearly our new patriotic duty.

7 Likes

And here I was just gonna finally watch in full “1776”. Might have to do that either instead or in addition.

4 Likes

Space Mutiny. I’ll never understand the appeal.
And for a new one, I think Munchie has joined the list. Try as hard as you can, you can’t take direct to video 80s/90s trash and turn it into cult classic gold. I like to rewatch MST3K. Thankfully, there’s only about twelve episodes overall that get worse with each viewing, as opposed to getting better, as the others do.
I’m not going to rewatch Munchie endlessly. Nope, not going to do it.

6 Likes

I’m sure this has been mentioned by someone else, but I definitely don’t think I’d be able to watch Catching Trouble on its own. It’s pretty tough to watch even with the riffing, but “Catching Ross” is a nice bit of catharsis.

8 Likes

I never wanted to watch MUNCHIE. And yet, I couldn’t look away!
But that doesn’t mean I didn’t want to watch the episode all the way.

3 Likes

Red Zone Cuba actually puts me to sleep. I’ve made it through the whole thing maybe twice. Skydivers is rough too. Coleman gets points for getting every movie he directed riffed but they’re hard to get through.

I also dislike Sidehackers. I think I have the biggest problems with movies that are just bleak and nihilistic. Or maybe it’s just about being boring.

9 Likes

I can’t make 5 minutes into side hackers.

5 Likes

Munchie is my latest addition to the list. Bleak, vicious Coleman Francis movies are fine with me, but I can’t stand gratingly unfunny kids’ films.

3 Likes

Same!

1 Like

I’m with you on all these. Sidehackers has a certain nostalgic quality for me, because it was one of the very first Joel episodes I ever saw, but the movie is certainly ugly, while the riffing somehow manages to be light and silly enough to neutralize the qualities for me that others find unbearable. Incredibly Strange Creatures, on the other hand…that is just a movie so hideous to look at, that it’s almost like I can’t hear the riffs. Every disgusting shot just fills me with revulsion, I think the writing was probably pretty good but I just can’t stomach the movie. I prefer my mst3k movies innocuous, not sadistic. Yet the ugly aspects of Sidehackers just roll past me like water off a duck’s back for some reason? Go figure.

3 Likes

OMG, there are so many. The Lassie movie one, I think, and anything that’s “new.” I prefer when they riffed old monster movies or black and white sci-fi.

5 Likes

Coming back to this thread, I realize that I have a pretty high tolerance for some of the more notorious episodes. I’ll watch your Red Zone Cuba, your Invasion of the Neptune Men, sure.

But I’m starting to find that I’m building up a list of movies that I don’t want to watch again because they’re just feel-bad.

The Painted Hills. I watched that one on a day when I was not ready to see a dog in distress, and I don’t think I want to go back to it.

The Sidehackers. What an ugly world they put together for that film - even worse when you know what they cut.

Eegah gets harder every time I watch it. Completely empathize with the bots needing a shower by the end of it, it just makes my skin crawl.

I think those are the big ones off the top of my head.

10 Likes

I couldn’t tell you what Red Zone Cuba was about. I have tried to watch it on multiple occasions, and I always fall asleep before anything resembling a plot happens (assuming it does at some point before the credit roll).

6 Likes

I don’t think even Coleman Francis could tell you what Red Zone Cuba was about.

8 Likes