Ever notice...?

About 95% of Music from the 50’s onward is about love, romance, or breakups.

1 Like

Or drugs. There’s a lot of music about that, too.

2 Likes

But only one out of every five songs mention Superman. Non Batman. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This was also true before the '50s.

2 Likes

If that is the case, how is it that When Loving Lovers Love never became a #1 hit?

8 Likes

There was a weirdly popular sub-genre in the '50s and '60s of songs about a teenage couple ending in tragedy due to a car accident, which the song from MST3k’s Werewolf is spoofing. Just check out the likes of Leader of the Pack, Tell Laura I Love Her, and Last Kiss.

7 Likes

And then you have They Might Be Giants.

or

4 Likes

Well, I guess if you bear in mind that the Batman Soundtrack by Prince is waaay less than one in five, ok. But that is still a whole album by a major artist about Batman, so we don’t have to feel too bad for Bats.

4 Likes

May I introduce you to The Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers. No love, romance or breakups, but prostitution, anorexia nervosa, suicide and the Holocaust, among other things.

Manic_Street_Preachers-The_Holy_Bible_album_cover

Needless to say it is utterly brilliant, and one of only two albums I accord a perfect 10/10 to.

Don’t forget Teen Angel, the possible inspiration for Last Clear Chance.

2 Likes

the first time I heard one of these songs, was on a doctor demento 25th anniversary cd. Ithought it was a weird al song it was so goofy. ‘Look out, look out!’

Does anyone know if the legend is true that Bill Corbett played “When Loving Lovers Love” at his wedding?

Curious - What’s the other one?

That would be The Stone Roses

Yes! FABULOUS!

There are a ton of 80s songs about just wanting to have fun and/or party. And a ton of 90s songs about how everything is stupid and the world sucks.

But there’s also Zombie by the Cranberries, which was written in the wake of the IRA bombing a train station and a couple of kids being caught in the blast. Dolores poured her grief into the song, calling for the IRA to stop the fighting. It had gone on for generations, and they were just carrying it on like zombies, trudging forward without a thought, caught up in the past, pretending it made them heroes and martyrs. People were dying because of it. For what? The song helped energize the public outcry. And, weeks later, the IRA disbanded, and some former members were elected to serve as members of Parliament in the next election.

Oh, and of course there’s Stonehenge by Spinal Tap, which is just a song about how cool and magical and mysterious Stonehenge is. Although it might not be quite as big as you’d been led to expect.

3 Likes

And where are they now?
The little people of Stonehenge
And what would they say to us?
If we were here, tonight

2 Likes

No one knows who they were or what they were doing, but their legacy remains.

2 Likes

Kelly’s Heroes by Black Grape mentions Batman and Bruce Wayne (because they’re definitely not the same guy, right?).

1 Like

OMG. Black Grape. I actually got to see them live at the Kalorama Center in DC when the woefully under-rated It’s Great When You’re Straight…Yeah was released in 1995. Also got to see The Happy Mondays in the same venue a few years before.

THE NINETIES :sob: OH GOD HOW I MISS THE NINETIES :sob: MST3K was just the icing on my delicious Life Cake back then.