Fake Band Names!

Oh man, we had a whole list of band names from the old SVAM IRC chat. The only two that stuck with me are “Doctor Crusher’s Diagnostic Thing” and “Turgid Republican Stooges”.

In the early/mid 90s we talked about creating a band for SF conventions that we agreed should be called “Von Neumann’s Catastrophe”… unless we played a Star Trek convention, in which case we’d be “The Band from Argo”.

7 Likes

The Dunning-Kruger Effect.

8 Likes

That is an awesome band name, but it would also be great for other things. I’m not sure exactly what things, but it feels like there should be a Kickstarter for it.

3 Likes

Though I’m not sure it was intended as one:

8 Likes

Here are some pics of the fake Album my fake band put out, which actually only had one song on it, all the rest were fake. You could exchange the word virtual for the word fake. The Band name was Xin and the ArachnophobiX aka XAX .

4 Likes

Steel desire machine, or I jokingly invite people to join my Milli Vanilli cover band. I joke that it is called Milli Ferrealy. The twist being that we actually sing the songs.

5 Likes

I lifted a name from a Penny Arcade T-shirt, Epic Wang. It was always my go-to Guitar Hero band name.

4 Likes

Rocketpimp was one I came up with back in the ‘90s

5 Likes

I forgot to respond to this. No, he tours as a solo artist.

2 Likes

Ah, too bad. That is a great name. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A fun game to play is taking two words, one awful or sinister in nature and combining it with something completely benign and wholesome to make a band name, like Narcotic Casserole or Gasmask Catalogue

5 Likes

Hmmm.

Sunshine Necrosis
Scar Jubilee
Picnic Phlebotomy

Not sure what sort of music these bands play. Dixieland Jazz?

4 Likes

Jefferson Airplane?

1 Like

The ZYX’s
Mark’s Story

2 Likes

Hoopy Frood And The Absorbers

4 Likes

Upon further reflection, that last one could be the name of a Christian rock septet.

1 Like

“Bubblegum crisis” is explained by the creator as describing the situation that’s happening on screen. Like blowing a bubble and it gets bigger then pops type deal.

4 Likes

There was also an in-series explanation for Pumpkin Scissors, but it’s so mind-numbingly bizarre I still can’t wrap my head around it.

1 Like

A supergroup formed by members of Smashing Pumpkins and Scissor Sisters?

3 Likes

It had something to do with using scissors for Jack-O-Lantern carving. As I said, it’s a bizarre explanation.

1 Like