False Advertising, or This is Not the Movie the Ads Promised!

Reptiles, amphibians, mammals … their common ancestor left the oceans and moved inland in order to get away from the sharks.

2 Likes

this poster also implies the guy carries around his own head but unless I’m misremembering he can’t even do that, he’s got to get some oaf to do it for him.

3 Likes

Has any VHS cover been more of a lie?

(AKA The Final Sacrifice)

6 Likes

Well, The Cable Guy was billed as a comedy.

4 Likes

I remember Fight Club was made to look like an action movie.

1 Like

Trailer seemed quite interesting.
Actual movie… not so much.

Zap really hit the gym while Troy finished school…

2 Likes

“Oh hey, honey, this one looks perfect for when Suzie has all her little friends over for their sleepover, let’s get it!”

images (3)

10 Likes

In the oaf’s defense, his hands are strong.

But yeah, the design element of the evil guy carrying around his own head is aces, so folks would be right to be disappointed over that not coming into play in the actual movie.

Not quite sure what’s going on with Jessica and Mr. Bland there… or Linda, for that matter.

2 Likes

Curse of the Cat People (1944)

The trailer and title is all lies.

1 Like

The movie has always been sold as a horror film, probably because it is the sequel to a horror film, but it’s a charming story about a child instead.

2 Likes

“I Bury the Living” was a 1958 horror film with a somewhat misleading poster; the tagline “Out of a time-rotten tomb crawls an unspeakable horror” is entirely wrong. This is not a monster movie, nor does it pretend to be, nothing “crawls” out of a tomb as such, and whilst the grey mustachioed man on the poster is in the film, he is not a zombie and does not have hollowed out eyes or ooze liquid from his fingers. The poster seems to want to prove itself as Frankenstein or something, when really its more of a “Twilight Zone”-esque horror about an insidious but unseen conceptual power.

4 Likes

Even using the same characters from the first movie. I dunno why but I’m comforted that even back then, studios would rush a ‘sequel’ for a quick buck.

2 Likes

If I recall, the title was one of a whole bunch that producer Val Lewton was given by RKO and told “use these titles to make movies for less than $160 and under 75 minutes long” with zero other information. The result was a bunch of B-thrillers, some of which are pretty good, a bunch might still be streaming on TCM.

I know that The Seventh Victim and The Ghost Ship were both in this category.

The clue to this one is the text at the bottom of the cover - “A David DeCoteau Film”. Eric Roberts & Linnea Quigley? Blink and you’ll miss 'em. Some insight into the mystery of D.B.Cooper? Nope
It’s mostly shirtless dudes, such is the director’s MO/obsession.

2 Likes

The odd thing is, even in spite of its betrayal of the trailer’s tone and promises, the movie works amazingly well and is genuinely touching.

I first watched that on Shudder, expecting that to be similar to its predecessor, and was pleasantly surprised by the journey that the film offered.

4 Likes

Forget Paris. It looked like it was going to be a fun sports movie with a little romance from the perspective of Billy Crystal as an NBA ref, and it was a sappy and not-so-great romance with a few funny bits, but really, the teasers for it on TV showed pretty much all the basketball that there was in the whole movie.

1 Like

And wasn’t the director’s name Tjardus, not T. Jardus?

2 Likes

88% on Rotten Tomatoes? Seems like it might be worth an unironic look. :thinking: